The wade pools are closed. The weather is chilly. Adam started school last week. Summer is officially over!
As Adam mentioned in his previous post, he got a full-time offer from Amazon.com to start next year when his MBA program is over. This means we will be looking at staying in Seattle anywhere from 5 to 10 years, we estimate. The big change here is: permanence! EEK! Can it be done? From Extended Stay America in Boston to a studio apartment in Vista, Calif., to a one bedroom apartment in Irvine, Calif. and then two more moves both to two bedroom apartments in the same complex. And now to Seattle; we still have a two bedroom apartment. But if we are staying here does that mean ... gasp ... home ownership? Those two words are the very definition of permanence. And it is a scary and exciting concept. We love everything about Seattle except two things: no immediate family (thank goodness for cousins, though) and terribly depressing weather 10 months out of 12 (according to this past year). Those are two big things. And yet we will stay because it is a job opportunity that couldn't be matched anywhere else.
The kids are changing. Sienna is now 2 years and 5 months. She now hates Noah and wants to be held constantly. (Baby regression.) She no longer delights in naptime or bedtime. (She relished it for about 6 months before this.) She is becoming adept at stalling. (Getting out the door with socks on? Forget it!) On the positive side: she can be very sweet still, loves to sing and learn new songs with Dad, and is putting together sentences nicely. Yesterday she and I were on a walk and she said, "Go this way or that way?" and pointed in the two different directions. It surprised me that she used "this" and "that" in perfect context because I remember having a hard time teaching those two words to the kids in Taiwan. I love being surprised by all the things she's picking up. Noah is now 4 months and I'm finally starting to really be smitten by him. I'm feeling less like a machine that takes care of him and more like a mom who gets to enjoy a bit more the fruits of her labor. His naps and nights are still spotty - sometimes good, sometimes bad. But he is rolling over and lifting his head really high will probably be crawling before we know it! He's a very strong little guy. The sad thing about Sienna hating him and swatting him every chance she gets is that he is in love with her! Whenever she's nearby (and not slapping him in the face) he grins and practically chokes on his smiles. It is too adorable. The kid just loves attention.
And me. I'm still getting used to the workload and love load of two kids. Some days I feel good and some days I feel very snappy. I've managed to come up with some better solutions that make it so I don't feel like strangling Sienna when I'm tending to Noah. Basically this involves fruit snacks and cartoons. It usually buys me just enough time to put Noah down for a nap. If it takes longer than 20 minutes, she comes wandering in ready to chat and all the soothing goes down the drain because Noah is awake and wanting to stare at his favorite sister who hates him. :)
Something that I wish would change is my attitude about weekends. I've been a mom for 2 years and 5 months and I STILL wake up on Saturdays surprised that they are no longer Saturdays. They are child care days, just like every other day. No more vegging and checking out. It just about kills me. If you have any advice on getting over the long lost lazy Saturday, please, do tell.
Now for pictures!
I went to Utah to see my family in the middle of September. It was a blast. It made me want to move back home. Not just to Roosevelt, but move in with my parents! Why not? We'd all enjoy it! So many pros, I'm telling you.
8 comments:
We're putting our house up for sale next summer, just so ya know :) Change can be good - but sometimes takes a bit of time to adjust. Like to the dark, gray, rainy days again - sometimes I pretend I live in Norway and try to "light" up the insides as much as possible on these long, dark, wet, winter days. Last year I also really tried hard to change my mindset that we couldn't go out and play outside on a rainy cold dark wet day. We just bundled up with lots of rain gear and got really wet and cold and muddy but it really helped to get outside :) Congrats on the job and enjoy the fall!
I hated those death defying acts by Roger when he did them to my kids too.
Trey hates solids too! He seriously gags and makes himself throw up lol and give me this look of terror like mom, what the crap are you trying to feed me?? Lol it's was good seeing you!! And I agree, move to Roosevelt! ;)
Nice pics and fun sis. Noah is looking good balancing act and lil John face. My question is what is with all that wood in the background? Did Adam cut and stack it?
allen - one of the guys who lives in our triplex is into chopping wood, so that's what he does. he had a plan to sell it and give the money to a local boy's home, but i guess no one's buying because the wood just keeps piling up.
Oh Marth. You put it all so well. I was nodding nodding and more nodding about the changes with two. I love the Seattle permanence. Count yourself lucky that you're near a temple and airport. That's a big deal. And we will see more of each other! Home ownership in Seattle doesn't have to mean Seattle, Seattle. It could mean Kirkland (that's one of the only suburbs my mind can muster at the moment...) or somewhere. How exciting! I think Amazon is amazing. Go Adam! And OH MY GOSH You and Heather look so much alike in that family photo. same eyes. same nose. same face. Just different hair. I miss the Hullinger clan. Hopefully someday we can all reunite! Loves!
K, I'm way behind in the catching up on your life--Seattle permanence is news to me! (welcome, welcome news) You should come play with us. Or we could come play with you. Sometime. It doesn't have to only be FAT. :)
Post a Comment