{Adam and I kept our one and only tradish to watch the sunrise on New Year's morning. Behold the sun rising over the barren wasteland of my hometown.}I'm preeeetty giddy about my New Year's resolutions. Not because I did a stellar job on last year's but BECAUSE I didn't do a stellar job on last year's. I know that doesn't make since and I can't really explain it. But when 2008 came to an end and I realized I'd accomplished almost none of them, I realized I didn't care. I didn't feel defeated. I felt great. I don't know why. I think I just enjoyed making the goals and thinking about them all year. The last time I made goals of any kind was high school, and I guess I'm ready to get back into self improvement mode. (My favorite book in high school was 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. So weird.) So, let's recap.
Last year, these were my resolutions: (I'll explain in green what effort was made or if I accomplished it.)
1. Go Green - Buy canvas grocery bags and ask my apartment complex why they don't offer recycling. I bought grocery bags from here and have dodged using approximately 2, 849, 091 plastic bags. Feels good. Feeeellllss gooooood. I haven't called my apartment complex manager person yet. I think about it everyday, though. I'll do it. Someday.
2. Read 3 Hard Classics. So far I know I want to read War and Peace. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I read Jane Eyre. Mmmm, not that hard. But that's as far as I got on the classics. Maybe one a year is a good goal.
3. Daily Scripture Study with Adam. We did this for maybe 6 months. Goal half-reached.
4. Remember Birthdays (and do something about it). Nope, did none of this. I may have remembered them, just didn't do much about it. It's because I discovered I hate buying cards and I hate making cards. So what's a girl to do? I can't reconcile going green and littering the world with cards. More pondering necessary on this one.
For 2009, I'm setting my sights even higher. Ten goals this year! TEN! Read them and weep:
1. Explore L.A. before baby comes. I actually have no desire to do this because L.A. holds about as much interest for me as stale, frozen socks stuck to a fence post. But I thought I'd solicite your advice. Anything I've got to see? A place I must eat? Otherwise, I'm not going anywhere.
2. Save money for trip to India next year. Owen's done with his mission then and I'm dying to see the place.
3. Approach new Stay At Home Mom job as a real job. Some days I'm excited to be a SAHM. Some days I dread it. What I hope to do is approach it like I do my current job. Get up. Get ready (hardest part for me). Act like you have a boss to answer to (the child). Have a schedule. Organize. Divide. Conquer. Repeat. And most importantly, look for success and a feeling of accomplishment in the little things.
4. Read Sunday School lessons and scriptures with Adam during the week before they are taught. Our scripture study plan for last year was so random which made it hard to stick to. I think if we have something to study for and look forward to talking about in a classroom setting, we'll get more out of it.
5. Eat more fresh vegis. I read this statistic over the holidays that rang true for me: 96% of Americans can't remember the last time they had a salad. Ding, ding, ding. That was me. I couldn't remember. It's because I mostly hate salads, especially because of the effort it takes to build one worth eating. My mom gave me a salad shooter, so I'm on my way. Next item I'd like to purchase: a steamer.
6. Don't pick my zits. It's time to admit: I have a problem. I came to a realization recently that I have a little more control over my zit problem than I had thought. Granted, I've never fully emerged from my teenage skin and it's only gotten worse because of pregnancy hormones, but it's time to come to terms with the fact that 1) I cause about half of my zits because I am addicted to squeezing anything and everything that looks like it has potential to be a zit and 2) I need to stop that.
7. Become an awesome photographer. I have the camera. I have the classes. It's only a matter of time.
8. Consolidate stuff, purge frequently, buy secondhand, or don't buy anything at all. One topic that circulates in my mind often is the concept of minimalism. It's my ideal. Stuff doesn't mean anything. It's fun to have and it can improve life. But I never want to have stuff just to have stuff. I'm starting a sidebar with some blogs devoted to simplicity/minimalism that I like. Check out this concept. Could you do it? I love the idea...
9. Don't leave piles. I tend to leave my clothes in several piles around the house. Adam does a nice thing for me in that he gathers the piles into one pile and puts the pile by my side of the bed. It makes me feel guilty all the time. I'd like to do better at putting them away right after I take them off.
10. Make better meal plans each week. Meal planning is an art I fear I will never perfect. Oh well. Keep on keepin' on.
Here's Adam's resolutions:
1. Become a bike racer.
2. Be an involved dad.
3. Eat breakfast with Martha every morning. In the past we watched the Today Show while running around and being late. This last week of quiet breakfasts together has made a considerable difference in our lives in many ways.
2. Save money for trip to India next year. Owen's done with his mission then and I'm dying to see the place.
3. Approach new Stay At Home Mom job as a real job. Some days I'm excited to be a SAHM. Some days I dread it. What I hope to do is approach it like I do my current job. Get up. Get ready (hardest part for me). Act like you have a boss to answer to (the child). Have a schedule. Organize. Divide. Conquer. Repeat. And most importantly, look for success and a feeling of accomplishment in the little things.
4. Read Sunday School lessons and scriptures with Adam during the week before they are taught. Our scripture study plan for last year was so random which made it hard to stick to. I think if we have something to study for and look forward to talking about in a classroom setting, we'll get more out of it.
5. Eat more fresh vegis. I read this statistic over the holidays that rang true for me: 96% of Americans can't remember the last time they had a salad. Ding, ding, ding. That was me. I couldn't remember. It's because I mostly hate salads, especially because of the effort it takes to build one worth eating. My mom gave me a salad shooter, so I'm on my way. Next item I'd like to purchase: a steamer.
6. Don't pick my zits. It's time to admit: I have a problem. I came to a realization recently that I have a little more control over my zit problem than I had thought. Granted, I've never fully emerged from my teenage skin and it's only gotten worse because of pregnancy hormones, but it's time to come to terms with the fact that 1) I cause about half of my zits because I am addicted to squeezing anything and everything that looks like it has potential to be a zit and 2) I need to stop that.
7. Become an awesome photographer. I have the camera. I have the classes. It's only a matter of time.
8. Consolidate stuff, purge frequently, buy secondhand, or don't buy anything at all. One topic that circulates in my mind often is the concept of minimalism. It's my ideal. Stuff doesn't mean anything. It's fun to have and it can improve life. But I never want to have stuff just to have stuff. I'm starting a sidebar with some blogs devoted to simplicity/minimalism that I like. Check out this concept. Could you do it? I love the idea...
9. Don't leave piles. I tend to leave my clothes in several piles around the house. Adam does a nice thing for me in that he gathers the piles into one pile and puts the pile by my side of the bed. It makes me feel guilty all the time. I'd like to do better at putting them away right after I take them off.
10. Make better meal plans each week. Meal planning is an art I fear I will never perfect. Oh well. Keep on keepin' on.
Here's Adam's resolutions:
1. Become a bike racer.
2. Be an involved dad.
3. Eat breakfast with Martha every morning. In the past we watched the Today Show while running around and being late. This last week of quiet breakfasts together has made a considerable difference in our lives in many ways.
Wooohooooo 2009.
5 comments:
I really do love that 100 things concept. Makes you think about stuff. Couldn't do it, I don't think. I think you'll be a great SAHM if you think of it like that. I love the breakfast idea. I am loving crepes now, since I made them in Roosy for the first time, by the way.
I love your resolutions! I especially love the minimalist concept. I've been doing some serious thinking the last couple of weeks about doing a major purge in my house. And, I believe thinking about it is a good step. Someday I might actually do it.
I could sooner chew off my own arm than leave my zits alone.
You crack me up! I love all the new goals espcially the zit one. I have the same problem. Seriously, if you see a big white head, who can leave it alone? Not me! There are times with other people that I just want to pop their zits! Anywho, good luck on the getting ready everyday being a mom. lol the first couple months i had a really hard time doing that. I don't know why to be honest I just really enjoyed being able to sit around in my pj's all day for the first time ever! So just enjoy it. You will love being stinky with sour breast milk all over and who wants to look cute with that anyways? lol
omg!!! sooo happy you found me! irvine? chello? we need to be friends....hmmmm....asap. and warren and your hubbie? automatic plus!!! and you are prego? life couldnt get any better. i miss you. lets mate.
So I don't think I have ever seen a zit on your face, good luck finding any to NOT pop! I like the idea of getting up and ready for work when you are a SAHM I wish you lots of luck, I wish I was better. Breakfast together is a favorite of mine, and reading the scriptures is definitely a must that we need to work on. Happy resolutioning.
Post a Comment