Sunday, January 18, 2009

20 & 25 & 85

Here are a couple pregnant pictures. Here's me at 20 weeks, a bit before Christmas.



Here's me today at 25 weeks. Introducing Gap's wondrous creation: maternity jeans with no panel, or what they call a hidden panel. I see no panel at all, just stretch. They sit low and are soooo comfy. Pay attention all you pregnancy pants makers. You have been misguided by the panel long enough. Get back to basics, like making pants that DON'T reach up to your armpits, and we'll all be better off.



I want to take a moment to talk about the conversations that a pregnant woman (me) has with her acquaintances (every week at church). They revolve around my body and my health, two things that people usually don't quiz me on or examine me on up front, but now are the ONLY things we discuss. It's odd. Not surprising. But still odd.


Them: "How are you feeling?"


Me: "Good, great, never been better."


Them: "No nausea, no throwing up, no fatigue?"


Me: "Nope, no complaints, never had that. I've felt great. Can't complain."


Them: "Let me look at you. Ohhhh! How exciting. You've got a little something."


Me: "Yep. She's here. Just hanging out. On me. Yep."


Them: "So you've been feeling good?"


Me: "Well, yeah, I mean, food's a little weird sometimes, but nothing crazy."


Them: "LIKE WHAT?" (Let's run with the weirdness, yes! Elaborate, tell me EVERYTHING.)


Me: "Well, I don't really have much of an appetite yet I have to eat all the time. And I like sugary drinks. I guess."


Them: "Oh, woooowwww. Yeah. Well, it'll get better. You're in the GOOD stage. So you haven't been feeling bad at all?"


Me: "Nope, not really."


Them: "Huh. Welp, see ya later."


Me: "Wait! Wait up! Don't you want to talk about anything else? I'm me, you remember? I'm not my pregnancy, I'm ME! Help! Wait up! Stop. Come back. I have other things to talk about."


It's as if I could walk through the halls and before people even open their mouths, I could say, "Feeling good. Finally showing. Here she is. Yippeeeeee!"


It is so strange to have your belly be such a center of attention. So strange. I don't know if I will ever get used to it. But I can foresee it doesn't change much from here. I will plan on being invisible for the next several years, heck, maybe forever if I keep having kids since once you have the kid people go straight for her and completely ignore you or talk to you while cooing at the baby. Eeee. Well, whatever. Being ignored and forgotton by all of humanity is a small price to pay for having cute little kids, right?


***


So, it was about 85 degrees yesterday. My brother Allen was down from San Jose. We went to the beach with some of his friends. It was pleasant with a capital P. (That rhymes with T that stands for Tool.)

Yacking it up with his friend Ann Marie. I like shots where the sun is peeking out from behind someone.


We finished off a great day of chatting and relaxing at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. Fascinating concept. It's really just a hunk of fried chicken and a big waffle altogether on one plate.

6 comments:

Super B said...

Welcome to the world of motherhood. I am always worried about how chubby I look or my face is gross and I am reminded that with Eve near me, no one is looking at me. It CAN be a good thing!
You look absolutely amazing. I want to hug you. So cute and adorable.
And I know it's you...

Shanna said...

Lol! YOu make me laugh. And yes, you are right, life pretty much revolves around the baby from here on out. But its so much fun! You look so cute by the way. I love the tiny belly. So I take it you are having a girl??? Did I miss that post? But conrats on that! So fun. Are you coming back to Utah anytime soon? I would love to talk to YOU! :)

Isaak and Jackie said...

Well I am so glad you are feeling well and you are sure you haven't thrown up or had nausea? Now that you have written that blog I totally agree and remember that yes there was no more Jackie but only the "twins" and my belly and you are right you can continue to get used to being forgotten. Allen is looking in tip top shape. Glad you guys had fun at the beach. Just for the record your pregnant body one to be envied.

Aves said...

Um, you look amazing. And I don't even want to hear another word. Seriously. you are skinnier than me and your pregnant! can't wait to see that muffin of a little one when she gets here! :)

Miriam said...

I couldn't disagree with you more! Man, I DIG the panel up to my armpit. Last pregnancy I could have tossed the panel to the birds, but this time, man, I refuse to wear anything else. And as far as being invisible, at least everyone isn't commenting on how huge you are already. (referring to the comments I receive every day) "Wow, you're really out there! HOW long did you say you still have?! You must really be counting down the days..." Yep, I sure am.

House of Hullinger said...

Welcome to " The world no longer revolves around you!" It is all about the kids from here on out so you better get used to it. If you don't like it you might want to find somebody else to raise that kid. Even if you do that they will still say things like "What happened to your baby?" And "You are an evil woman for not taking care of your child." I guess at this point you really need to way the pro's and Con's.