Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Crock-Pot of Crack

Crock-Pot Rules Broken during my first week of using one:
1. Started pot-o-chicken and herbs after work.
Outcome: A pungeant house and a greasy drumstick eaten in bed as I am falling asleep.

2. Started enchiladas after work, later this time with a longer cooking time, already forgetting that you're not supposed to start the Crock-Pot AFTER work.
Outcome: Adam sets alarm for midnight to put the just-finished enchiladas in the fridge for morning. Mmmm, enchilada breakfast.

2.a. Used flour tortillas instead of the corn ones recipe called for.
Outcome: Gluey, messy, cheesy glop. Convulsions as I eat it for breakfast.

3. Let Crock-Pot stink up house and go to a church meeting smelling like onions.
Outcome: Someone in the meeting says, "Mmmm, smells like dinner."

4. Couldn't find canned great northern beans, so I bought the bag.
Outcome: Delayed soup til next day so beans could soak all night.

5. Nearly severing cord while trying to rig up outside Crock-Pot cooking day AND locking my sliding door.
Outcome: Much frustration with Adam for thinking that Irvine is not safe enough to leave your well-fenced off sliding door unlocked for just one stinking day. Also, late for work.

6. Cooking mushrooms beforehand, thinking they went with the pot roast while cooking...but another Crock-Pot recipe SURPRISE: they go in AFTER.
Outcome: A really good mushroomy sauce but a tough roast. Which had nothing to do with pre-cooking the mushrooms. Oh, also: gloopy mashed potatoes.

7. Burying the Crock-Pot in my backyard.
Outcome: Realizing I don't have a backyard, so asking around for a willing backyard.

6 comments:

Heather E. said...

You've done it. A hilarious post and a relatable one at that. Welcome to the blogosphere.

The Brandleys said...

Ha Ha, I have a crock pot and I never use it!! I don't like to think about dinner till it's almost time!! Also here's my email for that Book mark! Thanks again.
renee.brandley@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Here's a fool proof recipe. 4 chicken breasts, 1/2 sliced onion (not precooked), and a bottle of barbeque sauce. Start it on low (in the morning) and voila! Shred it up and slap it on some buns at dinner time.

If that doesn't work, go buy an ice pick and you can come bury it in our backyard.

Meg said...

glad to see i'm not the only one who hasn't seemed to master the idea of a crock-pot dinner :)

Fig said...

8. Being a Crock-pot failure.
Outcome: cracking us all the heck up. And probably not getting any jobs in the Crock marketing department.

Miriam said...

I don't know what you're talking about! I have had nothing but success with all my cooking endeavors. Especially the crockpot! What a breeze! Psych. Remember when we used to say that? WEll, not you and I together, but you know..."we" as in people. I've had some successes and some tragedies with the cp, but hang in there...that BBQ chicken recipe will probably change your life.