Monday, January 28, 2008

Waving and Happy

I like to think I was one of the few and lucky to hear one of President Hinckley's last speeches. A couple Sundays ago he spoke via satellite to the Southern California stakes and his topic was something that he was a pro at: marriage. And now I can just see him smiling and waving down at us with his darling Marjorie by his side. Good thing one of my New Year's resolutions involved taking notes at church (cue "Spiritchal as Me") because I'd like to impart them to you now. Cuz they're good. And now you can be as spiritchal as me. And say that you, too, heard what was on the mind of a latter-day prophet in his last days.

Four Cornerstones for a Happy Marriage: (from a guy who knows a lot about cornerstones)

1. Mutual respect - Have an anxious concern for the other's well-being.
2. Soft answer - Turneth away wrath (you saw that coming). Quiet talk is the language of love; the voice of heaven is a still small voice.
3. Financial honesty - Don't be an "extravagant" wife. (Seriously, he said this. Or maybe that's just how I heard it.)
4. Family prayer - Have this daily.

His talk was so good and basic and straightforward and simple. He quoted that favorite quote of his (and always a favorite quote of mine) about life and marriage being like an old time rail journey, rough and bumpy with short bursts of beautiful vistas. And the trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride. So practical. I love it. Three cheers for our practical prophet! He lived a good life.

2 comments:

Fig said...

Thank you thank you, you are awesome. I love that guy.

I want to email you some blogging advice. Could you email me, so I'll have your address?

chancock23 at gmail dot com.

Miriam said...

Thank you for the notes. It is special to be able to read this--