Monday, May 09, 2011

Birdie Turns 2


Sienna turned 2 last Friday. I planned to make a nice afternoon of it and go to the park and eat cake and open presents and hang out as a little family. But ... it rained. Can you believe it? It rained. Of all the things to happen in Seattle! It rained.

So I picked up Adam from school and we came back home and ate carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. The day really felt like my birthday since Birdie still didn't get it and I was in a celebratory mood.
So, I made the cake that sounded good to me. I spent a nice morning doing yoga at the gym after which I went to my favorite bakery and snarfed a pain au chocolat and strawberry danish. Sienna was there but she didn't really catch the feeling in the air. Oh well. Next year and beyond she will have plenty of say about the flavor and shape of her cake and an opinion about the day's festivities.
Since she was awake at 6:30 am that morning, I had plenty of time to think about the events at that time two years ago. Around 7 am Adam and I had hopped in the car to go to the hospital.
At 7:30 am we arrived and the nurses checked my cervix. It was dilated to a 9! An hour later, Birdie made her debut. I still can't believe how fast everything happened. After snuggling for a bit, she was weighed and checked and then handed back to Adam while I was served the best breakfast of my life! It was a magical day.
Birdie, while I neglected to do your hair on your 2nd birthday and these pictures will always bother me because of it, just know that at this moment in time you are my absolute favorite. You are sweet, silly, emotional, sensitive, hate loud laughter, a bit of a bully to other kids, attentive, love books, are obsessed with puddles and trucks, and also OCD. All of these traits are bundled together into this tiny little brain and body that make up YOU. It's all still so incredible that you are real.

Don't ever change, okay? I mean it! If your slippery "S's" go away, I will die.

2 comments:

The Finishing Touch said...

Diane Ware said: I didn't know she could unwrap gifts!!! Next time I'm wrapping them all! Wonderful pictures....I wish my hair looked that good when it hasn't been "done." THANKS for the smiles.

Natalie said...

Happy bday birdie...cute pics. I thought her hair looked good.Better than when Adam was in charge :)