Wednesday, March 31, 2010

10 Years and Running

This year I celebrate 10 (plus) years of consistently running. Here's a smattering of my favorite running memories through the years.

*In third or fourth grade I showed off my long-legged speediness when I beat everyone at some race to the fence and back. In gym, running the mile was no biggie. In seventh grade, my friend Marilee and I would wake up before school and run to the Jr. High and back, about 1.5 miles. It was then I realized how good it felt to start the day running; we'd even go in the middle of winter. Loco! In ninth grade I joined the cross country team. It hurt. My fastest time was 28 min. for the 3.1 miler and the entire race I was delirious and wetting my shorts. Yep. Humiliating, yet triumphant. I have to say it again: cross country HURTS to the maximum and I admire anyone who does it. I never felt in shape the whole season, just in pain. After that I joined drill team (which was a whole different kind of pain, but brought with it more passion so I enjoyed it much more) and never looked back. Until I graduated high school in 2000 and had few dancing options.

*Most evenings during my first two years at Ricks College/ BYU-Idaho found me in the Hart gym on a treadmill at 9 pm running 3 miles. I was religious about it because I'd heard horrible things about "the freshman 15." Staved off that and got to look at all the hotties on the treadmills across from me (we ALL looked hot in our BYU issue, believe me. Ain't no shoulders showing unless you got a little rebellious and folded them up under your bra strap. Oooowee! HOT TO TROT!)

*Transferring the BYU Provo made running a little more sporadic. The gym was not accessible for some reason, so we had outside and the indoor blue track. I can still smell that blue track. My roommates and I trained for the Moab Half Marathon on that stupid thing and we always had to talk each other into going because we hated it. Running indoors on a stinky rubber blue track in the middle of the winter is the opposite of fun. But we had a blast at the Half Marathon (pictured further below). I remember my roomie Rebecca, the true hard core runner, waking up at the butt crack every morning begging me to encourage her to get outside in the frigid winter weather and run. I did not encourage her because there was no way I would have done it. So, yes, sporadic it was for me. At some point while living in Provo I did the Provo Canyon Half Marathon by myself.

*(Below pictures) Here's me trying to get the hang of the jogging stroller with Sienna at 5 months old. Turns out I can't hack it. I don't use it anymore because a) it's a piece of crap and b) it defeats my whole purpose for running which is to get away from everything and everybody and be at one with the pavement.

(But doesn't The Bird look adorable in it? We still use it for walks.)

*I ran regularly the first 4 months of my pregnancy and then not at all for the last 5; I walked instead (both due to doctor's orders and because my legs were already struggling to support all the extra weight). I can't tell you how ready I was to get out again and run after having Sienna. Two weeks after her birth, I ran 3 miles and was in pain for the next few days. I decided to ease into it and now I am quite the pathetic runner, only getting in 2.5 miles here and there when Sienna (and I) have a decent night of sleep. I relish any time I can get my run in before Adam leaves for work. Endorphines make my whole life MUCH cheerier.



*The Big Lake Half Marathon in New Hampshire in 2006. This was right after Adam and I got married and were living in the Extended Stay America hotel in Tewksbury, Mass. GOOD TIMES! It rained the ENTIRE race and I couldn't feel any of my limbs at the end. Everyone was way faster than me, so they ran ahead. But, again, I couldn't feel my legs, so I just wanted it to end. SO COLD. Pictured above is me, Mercedes, and my old roommate Lauren who graciously lent me her windbreaker. The windbreaker was not a rain breaker, unfortunately, but it did much better than my tank top. I did not dress right at all and am lucky to be alive today as a result.



*Pictured below is one of the two half marathons I did in Moab. The first one I did alone (I think) because all I remember is running with a guy I knew (Carrie, what's his name??) who was sporting with confidence very short shorts. He was entertaining and nice enough to run with me because I was nervous about finishing. Then when I felt confident enough to finish the last couple miles alone, he ran ahead to try to salvage a decent time. I absolutely love going to races of any kind because there is such an electric feeling in the air. Something about sharing a love of fitness in the great outdoors.


*The second Moab race I did with my cousin Carrie and roommates Chelsea, Rebecca and Sarah. I wish I could find the picture of us in our hotel room dancing on the bed. That was a really fun trip.

*This was Carrie's first half marathon and she might just tell you the whole training and running experience sold her on the power of running. Do you dig our pink head bands? I do.

*(Picture below) At a 5K in Provo with my friend Miriam during college. I'd like to thank fun little BYU-sponsored races like these for introducing me to my husband. I was dating a guy who entered a biathlon (a swim and run held in this same area pictured below) that Adam also entered. Guy got first because he was a better runner, Adam got second although he was a better swimmer, he came to congratulate guy and there I was by his side. Adam and I need to make a pilgrimage to this area and revisit the grassy knoll I was sitting on when I first shook his hand then watched him walk away. That moment changed the course of my life and I owe it all to ... running (and a few million other events, but for the sake of this post ... running).


11 comments:

Shanna said...

oh would you stop it already! lol You make me feel so lazy and worthless! I wish I was more like you and liked to run. I have tried, really, I have, but I just cant love it. But I am really jealous of you. I wish I was more like you! :)

Natalie said...

Awesome! So inspiring. I haven't worked out in 2 weeks, so reading your post is making me feel like a slacker. You me and Julia should do a race sometime...a ware girl's outing. Also, that pic of you and Adam under the umbrella, it looks like Adams wet his pants.

Sawatzky family said...

WOW what a great post on running, soemthing I have just gotten into ove the last year. I love it!
I think my greatest joy in the begining was realizing that I was not to fat to run! HA! I had lost my first 40 pounds and tohught I would give it whirl..in the dark at 530 am so no one would see me ;)
And I did it and I loved it although I did soon realize my rather plentiful bossum requires to bras instead of one! I am up to running between 4-7 miles depending and would love to do an actual group run at some point this summer!
Thanks for sharing your experiances they are very motivating!

House of Hullinger said...

Love this story you little chunk of inspiration or should I say perspiration?!

Dan said...

Well Adam sure won in the end! That was a great story. And a superb post. You had me laughing while remembering the extreme height of that guy's shorts--can't say I remember much else about him, but I sure remember those shorts (and perhaps a fluorescent headband??).

What good times we had! Thanks for reminding me how much I hate cold weather--especially running in cold weather. I will bask in the California sun today because of you!

Aves said...

Marth, you've always been a shining example of consistency and motivation! I have been so sporadic with my working out, and I have a love/hate relationship with running. I love the way I feel afterwards, but its such a challenge getting going.
And good for you with your races and half marathons. I have always wanted to train for one. and PS: LOVE the Pics. You are just fabulous. And thank you for being such a wonderful friend, it means a lot.

Martha said...

Paul! His name was Paul. The man with the short shorts was Paul. If only I knew his last name we could become FB friends.

Heather E. said...

When are we going to run a 1/2 mara together?
When?

Miriam said...

Man, I look chubbo in that picture. I just remember I kinda peed my black pants when we finished.
I love running. As long as I can push myself BY myself, and don't have to keep up with anyone else. I wish I had discovered it earlier. I'm a TOTAL wimp when it comes to running in the butt-cold, so I'm pretty much a seasonal runner. Someday, I WILL run a marathon. Always've wanted to.

Carrie said...

Correction: Your first 1/2 you ran with Reb, Paul, Mark Elder, Chelsea. I came along and suntanned on the grass. At that point in my life I had never run more than 3 miles at a time. After you guys finished the race, the next year you talked me into doing it with you so I signed up and we started training once you got back from DC. Sarah ran with us occasionally. Man you were so patient with me...staying with me the ENTIRE way in our sweatbands. I was in so much pain with my IT band that I think I would've stopped. Because I finished that race, I signed up for it again 2 years later and then did one this last fall! You got me running, Marth. Good work. I'm running a 10K in a couple weeks. I've been working on my speed. :)

madrilenamer said...

Hey, what about the time we ran about 3 miles so we could hit up the donut shop? I think that story merits retelling...