In the meantime, here are some noteworthy items of happenstance in a town where nothing happens.
*The Bird's sleep was something phenomenal in Roosevelt. So phenomenal it straight up scared me. I believe it is an indication that her true home is in the country.
*Adam and I had a date night out to the movies. We tried to see New Moon (shut up) but it was sold out. We went across the street to see 2012 (slim pickin's - we're just grateful to have two choices) but before doing so, we had to get cash. It was 7:25 p.m. and the movie was to start in five minutes. No biggie. We went back to the car, drove back to the house, got my debit card (Adam's is defunct for some reason), drove back to the theater right into the same parking spot we'd had before, went to the bank (which is conveniently located across the street), walked to the theater and all with plenty of time to spare. If that isn't a pro to living in a small town, I don't know what is.
*I shaved The Bird's head. I just couldn't take the patchiness anymore. It was okay back in Utah when it was cold enough to put a hat on her head everyday, but now I'm kind of regretting it.
*My dad runs the town morgue (actually it's a mortuary but who knows the diff?) and often enlists our help when we are home. This time it was a huge funeral with lots of flowers that needed transporting. I was notified by Mom that I was to get my fannie over to the morgue ASAP to load flowers in the van and take them to the place where they were having the luncheon. Good thing I had just put on pink lipstick that was supposed to be red and had tidied up my hair into pigtails earlier that morning! No need to feel silly, though. The dress code ended up being cowboy boots and large, ratted hair, so I felt kind of like I fit right in ... in a backward sort of way.
*There are always choice occurrences in Roosevelt 5th ward, and yesterday did not disappoint. In Sunday school, we were discussing the whole armor of God in Doctrine & Covenants 27: 15-18 and the teacher drew a stick figure complete with "truth" written across the "loins." Everybody loves a good loincloth of truth. In fact, I think I'll go put mine on right now. A lady also commented that the danger to having an open mind is that it just gets filled right up with trash. I thought, "Yeaaaaah. Wait. What?" I guess being close minded is the only way to know what's right ... right? And in an unofficial poll conducted by me at our family dinner table, I found that 3 out of 5 adults admitted to spacing out when people started talking about their ancestors. We agreed that stories about our own ancestors are interesting, but sacrament meeting talks lasting 30 minutes based on random stories about other people's ancestors was just too much to ingest.
*Adam wanted to go "see some sights" on a drive around town, and I didn't know how to break the news gently as in, "Honey, there are no 'sights.'" Luckily, Mom came along and knew just the spots to take him to. We drove around Bottle Hollow and talked about the Ute Indian reservation on which we reside. We drove around the golf course because that's where all the pretty houses are. Then finished the trip with a jaunt out to Hancock Cove to spot my Uncle Gib's house and see what kinds of animals he was harboring (just cows this time). The whole time I had a tightening in my chest and was finding it hard to breathe. I realized it's because I start panicking when I look around and all I see is nothing. The nothingness collapses in on me, and I feel like I'll do anything to get to a shopping mall. Now I finally get why people were shocked when all they could say about Roosevelt was, "You guys have to drive 3 hours to get to a mall????????" Yep. I get it.
*I cleaned my brother's tub this morning, and I consider it one of the more magnificent accomplishments of my life.
*I ate four slices of pie at Thanksgiving, preceded by one the night prior: apple, pumpkin, razzleberry, sour cream apple and double cream blueberry. When I finished the day with a cup of hot chocolate, I was in full-on regret mode.
*My dad runs the town morgue (actually it's a mortuary but who knows the diff?) and often enlists our help when we are home. This time it was a huge funeral with lots of flowers that needed transporting. I was notified by Mom that I was to get my fannie over to the morgue ASAP to load flowers in the van and take them to the place where they were having the luncheon. Good thing I had just put on pink lipstick that was supposed to be red and had tidied up my hair into pigtails earlier that morning! No need to feel silly, though. The dress code ended up being cowboy boots and large, ratted hair, so I felt kind of like I fit right in ... in a backward sort of way.
*There are always choice occurrences in Roosevelt 5th ward, and yesterday did not disappoint. In Sunday school, we were discussing the whole armor of God in Doctrine & Covenants 27: 15-18 and the teacher drew a stick figure complete with "truth" written across the "loins." Everybody loves a good loincloth of truth. In fact, I think I'll go put mine on right now. A lady also commented that the danger to having an open mind is that it just gets filled right up with trash. I thought, "Yeaaaaah. Wait. What?" I guess being close minded is the only way to know what's right ... right? And in an unofficial poll conducted by me at our family dinner table, I found that 3 out of 5 adults admitted to spacing out when people started talking about their ancestors. We agreed that stories about our own ancestors are interesting, but sacrament meeting talks lasting 30 minutes based on random stories about other people's ancestors was just too much to ingest.
*Adam wanted to go "see some sights" on a drive around town, and I didn't know how to break the news gently as in, "Honey, there are no 'sights.'" Luckily, Mom came along and knew just the spots to take him to. We drove around Bottle Hollow and talked about the Ute Indian reservation on which we reside. We drove around the golf course because that's where all the pretty houses are. Then finished the trip with a jaunt out to Hancock Cove to spot my Uncle Gib's house and see what kinds of animals he was harboring (just cows this time). The whole time I had a tightening in my chest and was finding it hard to breathe. I realized it's because I start panicking when I look around and all I see is nothing. The nothingness collapses in on me, and I feel like I'll do anything to get to a shopping mall. Now I finally get why people were shocked when all they could say about Roosevelt was, "You guys have to drive 3 hours to get to a mall????????" Yep. I get it.
*I cleaned my brother's tub this morning, and I consider it one of the more magnificent accomplishments of my life.
*I ate four slices of pie at Thanksgiving, preceded by one the night prior: apple, pumpkin, razzleberry, sour cream apple and double cream blueberry. When I finished the day with a cup of hot chocolate, I was in full-on regret mode.
*Adam and I were going over some things of import on our drive last night to SLC while The Bird was testing her lungs and suddenly, out of nowhere, a deer met up with the driver's side rear view mirror, taking the thing clean off. We are still shocked and glad that nothing worse happened, especially because Sienna would have been so flipping more mad than she already was.
*I wore my mom's Snuggie a few times. It really is the best invention of 2009.
12 comments:
LOl Oh how I love your posts! Sounds like a great time in Roosy. lol You have to post some pics of the birds new hair dew! I loved the patches, I thought it was adorable, but I prob would have shaved it too. I did it with Zaynes and it really did help it to come in better. :)
Good write up. I hope it was cold besides being desolate. Good to hear Gib is harboring the farm still. Also next time let Mark and I take Adam around the res and he will see some real cool sights and stories we don't tell the ladies.
Let's see a pick of the newest female skinhead. Her patches were cool.
I have a confession. When I was a kid, Roosevelt was this cool, far away place. Those kids who went to Hawaii or Disney Land on vacation didn't know what they were missing. We went to Roosevelt. We stayed at Granddad's where they had colored toilet paper and trick windows that lead to nowhere. And sometimes we even got to sleep at our Uncle's house that was attached to the morgue. How cool is that!
Ha Ha Ha Ha. That is me rolling my eyes and laughing at your negative attitude.
The church thing makes me laugh. I felt the same way. I am happy that the lady speaking had such a prominent well loved family that they had to remove a pillar from the tabernacle so that everybody could fit in there for the funeral. Blah Blah Blah. The Open mind thing, I really wanted to discuss that with someone because I wanted to rip her head off. I probably would have if I would not have been playing with Sienna.
Living in Roosevelt in not bad. 8 months of the year we have it pretty darn good. There are tons of things to do that don't involve spending yourself into a hole. Next time you come for a visit you might want to spend a little ,more time with Roger and I and then maybe your Lungs won't collapse with boredom.
Love ya and it was great to see you.
Great write-up. Ah, the Roos. And bless Adam's heart for thinking there would be "sights".
I was going to write on my blog about my mixed Roos feelings, but all I really have to say is this: every time we go there, I freak out that we're moving back to the little ice hole. Then when we leave, I cry and can't wait to go back.
I don't know what it all means. The Roos is a mysterious place.
Hilarious. I was in regret mode following my Thanksgiving feast as well. Isn't that part of the tradition? Glad that deer didn't get the best of you guys... you're luck it only got the mirror! The Snuggie comment was cracking me up.
Man, apparently I wasn't the only Basinite that came out of the woodworks to comment about Roosy. I went back for Peter's not-a-home-coming a month or so ago, and it was so weird. I hadn't been there since he left, and I just felt so...out of place. I just kept on thinking, wait? did I really live here?? But I'm fond of the old place, for sure. Fond of the memories, at least. The absolute highlight for me was playing dress up with your mom for hours. Man, if I could only have access to her more often!! I'll always be at home with her. And I saw Kassie Chapman, which was really great. Love her.
So I want to talk to you about what "coming home" means? Home to Utah? Or you know, home to Colorado that's closer to Utah? It's something I've really been thinking about 'cause whenever I ask Allan where we're moving after he graduates, he always says "I don't know. Wherever the job takes us." That's always been exciting to me, but now it really makes me sad to think about being away from the general vicinity of my fam....
-not Allan
never having to worry about being underdressed is the greatest highlights of a small town!
Sour cream apple pie is secretly delicious. I made one for my in-laws this Thanksgiving and nobody touched it except Mel. Didn't bother me in the least, I got to eat it the whole next week.
Now that was good stuff right there. Can you please e-mail me your address.
Thanks!
Now that was good stuff right there. Can you please e-mail me your address.
Thanks!
Robyn has just got me onto the blog thing and I have to say I love reading it! You are too funny and it is nice to keep up even when you live far away. Maybe someday I'll be funny enough to have a blog. Unfortunately the my kids are too big to be so cute. The youngest doesn't even let me take pictures of her at this point. (we're just waiting for the braces to come off.) cute family! I'll have to do better at checking in! Maria
Post a Comment