Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Balloon Crew

We did something unprecedented last Saturday: we got out of the house. This time of year the sun just depresses me, so I tend to want to stay inside and pretend the weather outside is frightful. But Adam had the great idea to go do something we've been meaning to do for as long as we've lived here: take a ride in the city's big balloon.

What. Your city doesn't have a giant orange balloon just floating in the sky at any and all times of the year? You should feel cheated. (Actually I think it's kind of an eyesore, but fun nonetheless.)


Big Orange Balloon Factoids:

It's filled with helium, not hot air.

It's tethered to the ground with a single cable.

It takes guests 400 feet above the ground.

If the single cable breaks, it can float away as high as 8,500 feet into the air.

You have to sign a waiver to go up.

It's totally safe for kids of all ages.
Do you see a problem here?

Cue: Mama anxiety.


I had just planned on taking turns going up and keeping Sienna safely planted on the ground. But Adam felt totally fine about taking her up. Other kids were going up, other infants were going up, everyone said it was safe. So, I lost. And we took her up.


Funny thing happened, though. Adam and I switched places once the balloon was floating up, up and away and while I thoroughly enjoyed the free flying with Sienna strapped to my chest, he ended up gripping the sides, nearing a panic attack.

He did manage to take some cool pictures, though, like these:




Cursed be the blue skies around here. But aren't they just kind of pretty?


4 comments:

A-Ware said...

terrifying

The Titmi said...

You didn't read my blog when I posted about going- We took Heidi's kids and I nearly had a panic attack too! I was relieved when it was not flying at the Wanda Witch party:)
PS- you are a nut for wanting to be stuck inside for part of the year!

Aves said...

That looks like fun!! But I am afraid of heights, so there might have been a smidge of anxiety for me as well!! PS I too, get sad with the sunny skies around the holidays. Its just not the same here in AZ. Boo. Sadly I miss the snow around this time.

Candace Heyman said...

Looks like fun but I would definitely be just a little bit scared. Enjoy that sun, will you?! I would die for some right about now. Brrrr....