Monday, December 01, 2008

I am NOT a Republican. There! I said it!



Oh man, that felt good! (By the way, this is Adam talking) In subsequent posts I will bore you with greater detail regarding how I’ve come to this decision. But first I want to get my coming-out party out of the way. Let me begin by briefly stating my reasons for becoming an Independent:

1. I do not believe that one party is good or right, and that the other is bad, evil, and wrong.

2. I believe Republicans are right on some issues and that Democrats are right on others.

3. My opinions on moral and social issues are generally conservative.

4. My opinions on fiscal, environmental, energy, entitlement, and health care policy are generally democratic.

5. There are a slew of other issues about which I have either have no opinion (ethics reform, infrastructure, Israel), or no idea (Iraq, taxes, economic crisis).

6. I generally believe our politicians are good, responsible, and patriotic, no matter their party affiliation.

7. I generally do not react to scare-tactics or “scandals” of any kind (i.e. red phones ringing at night, warnings of impending socialism, wardrobe-gate, etc) no matter the origin or target.

So there you have it. Is Martha’s blog the appropriate place to be making this declaration of independence? Maybe not… but I don’t have a blog, facebook has a 10 character limit under “political views”, and testimony meeting was really the only other good option.

INDEPENDENTS OF THE WORLD...UNITE!!!

7 comments:

Fig said...

I think Martha's blog is a great place for it - plenty of peeps in my ward, however, believe testimony meeting is the BEST option. They are wrong. And I'm excited for the "greater detail regarding how [you've] come to this decision".

Scare tactics = lame. My gmail delete button got a serious workout this election season, thanks to both sides.

Heather E. said...

I feel relief for you, but Christmas is going to be awkward this year. Just kidding. I really think you should post more!

Maddox and Kobe...are cuter than all your grandkids combined said...

Adam, funny post, I got a spot for you as professor at Humbolt State University in Arcata. Your write up was basically their motto without the support of the sticky icky. You should move to Oregon. I have a hard time believing you're not a tax hawk with that CPA.

Keep up the rants.

Isaak and Jackie said...

everyone gets to be themselves and a blog is a good place to let it be known. My husband is a little half and half himself!

Natalie said...

Way to come out of the closet. But don't let mom and dad know.

Isaak and Jackie said...

from Ike: you said it, "it's a two party system". being independent would be awesome if we could have some power!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm emboldened! I feel the exact same way -- I am an Independent and I am, quite frankly, surprised there aren't more of us. My one attempt at a political post (that is now removed from my blog) got me into some spats with some of my commenters. So it got me thinking harder about my own stances, along with scaring me from writing about anything political. I'm very passionate about politics so it has been building up. I felt relieved when I read this and know someone else feels the same. I might have to post my declaration of independence on my own blog, if you don't mind me copying you. (By the way, I'm Martha's cousin-in-law. :)