Saturday, November 08, 2008

Free Weekend

It's our first weekend with no obligations in a few months so Adam is back to biking. He entered his first 'race.' This was a time trial race, so it wasn't against other people, just against himself. Bikers do multiple time trials to compare their times and gauge their improvement. Since this was his first, he now has a benchmark.

I went along as the biker wife/photographer/that chick in the way.
Here he is at the 'starting line.' If you've seen the Tour de France, you've seen a time trial because they do them throughout the Tour. But in TDF they start you on a downhill ramp and and they go about 35 miles (Adam's time trial today was 11 miles). So a dude behind you holds your seat (or your butt, not sure ;)) and then gives you a little push. Then you just bike your little guts out as hard as you can to get a really fast time.

Here he is right after the takeoff. Two feet into it and he already looks like he's in pain. Hehehe. But his thigh will carry him thru (will you get a look at that thigh?? He has two of those mothers, just thought I'd point that out).

And a booty shot for all to enjoy.

The first bit was upward terrain. Ouch.

I accidentally took a detour up the mountain, but got a pretty sweet view of him down below. He's the speck in front. Check out the dry, scorched, thirsty vegetation. Makes me pine for snow which is what November is SUPPOSED to bring when you live in a normal part of planet earth.

I was probably definately in the way when I shot this picture. Sorry other bikers.

Shooting while driving.

The finish was just up the road behind my car. He finished in 32:35.

"How do you feel?" I asked.

"I want to die. Die and then puke."

Huh.

4 comments:

Isaak and Jackie said...

those are some pretty sweet shots of the country and the man, glad you are such an athletic supporter. :)

Super B said...

Cool.
Hey, is that your sweet little Ford from the Ricks Days? I remember packing as many adults as was illegal and then weighing it down with groceries....
those were the good ol' days.

Heather E. said...

correction: only you could appreciate the spandex. also, still confused about the whole concept of a time trial.

The Monsen's said...

Hey Martha this is Jana I was checking out Shanna's blog and found yours...way cute. Oh yeah congrats on your cool news about being prego!!