Friday, August 30, 2019

August

We squeezed the fun out of August! Two camping trips with a sojourn to Wenatchee sandwiched in the middle. It was fun overload in all the best ways.

CAMPING TRIP #1:
We haven't been camping in two years! I hated camping in Europe and while we tried it many times, I just couldn't get excited about it. So the third year we were there, we didn't go at all. Last summer we were in the middle of an international move, so we didn't go camping then either. And this summer ... we had no excuses! Plus, Adam had booked a place many months in advance, so we knew we had to go!

This trip was to the Olympic Peninsula at Coho Campground. By looking at the coats, you'd think it was freezing, but it was actually pretty pleasant.
 It was nice and quiet and we had plenty of time to relax.
The campground was next to this gorgeous lake, Wynoochee Lake.

 In this photo, I'm showing off our camping braids:
 The colors in this natural setting were epic! The fishing.....meh....not so much.

 These two singing together is adorable.
 Adam taught me how to build a fire. I've learned and re-learned this many times but I was paying careful attention this time because I knew I'd have to do it on my own at the next camping trip. More on that later.
 Noah is a back climber.

 Morning faces in the tent.
 I went on a two hour hike by myself one afternoon. It was glorious. I found some fluorescent fungi.
 I liked these spidery ferns.
 Our roasting sticks are comically short and so you have to protect your face and hands because they get too hot.

WENATCHEE TRIP:
 My cousin, Carrie, has all the toys and water options available in and near Wenatchee, so visiting her family in the summer is always a treat.
Violet and Sienna:
 Here's Lucy pushing Violet off the paddle board.
 These three enjoying a snack by the pool.
 Carrie and Matt.
 Noah and his fishy crackers. Always.
 Relaxing.
 I made Carrie model the swimsuit cover that she made. It's soooooo cute!
 COUSINS
 On the Columbia River ... tube time!


 Mermaid time...




 So sunny and such perfect water. Loved this trip!

CAMPING TRIP #2:
The Moms and Kids Camping Trip is an annual event organized by my friend, Morgan. It was originally put on by my old neighbor, Julie, but she moved and Morgan took over. It's been going on since 2012. I took my kids in 2014. This time was so much easier because my kids require so little help and attention. For two days before the trip I baked over 100 muffins. Almond poppyseed, banana, and blueberry.
We went to Orcas Island and this is the kids on the ferry ride over.
This year there were 15 moms and 41 kids total. WHOA. 
We were at a huge group campsite and it was perfect. We could make as much noise and drum up as much chaos as we wanted. 
S'mores every night by the fire of course!
 Emily was a boss hatchet gal. 
 Amy made some stellar fires.

We went clamming. So. FUN. I'd never done it before.
 













 We took home five pounds of clams and also some other seafood, including oysters. Here's Emily cracking open an oyster to slurp down. They were actually really yummy!
 We went swimming at our favorite beach at Cascade Lake. They sell to-die-for ice cream.



 All the kids played so well together. It's so fun to watch.
 Morgan and Jessica had to arm wrestle, of course.
 Sienna kept borrowing a fishing pole and she was obsessed with trying it out at the dock.
 She and Anne bonded and were good buddies the entire trip. Such sweet, awesome girls.






 On our hike to Twin Lakes
 One of many mealtimes spent together. There were so many little kids and a couple babies and a couple pregnant mamas. I can't believe they were willing and excited to camp! But they were. Props to them.

Best part of each day: sending the kids to bed and staying up late for s'mores and juicy chatter around the campfire.


No comments: