Friday, October 19, 2012

Decision 2012

Here's how it's going down at the polls this year for yours truly. Yes, I am one of those Independents who is all over the map in my opinions, so I had to write them down to solidify what was really going on in my scatter brain. Also important information to note right here: I made a special trip to the DMV last month to become a registered voter in the great state of Arizona. THE DMV. THE WORST PLACE ON EARTH. All for the noble cause of voting (suffragette sisters, you know I don't take this duty lightly, and thank you). But it was all good. The DMV was actually awesome. And relatively fast (30 minute wait). And they printed my driver's license out RIGHT THERE. Now THAT is government at its finest.

Here's where I stand on the issues I most care about (because I don't care about them all, what do you think I am, running for president or something?)...

Abortion / Women's Issues: Either but mostly Obama I go back and forth on abortion all the time. I have the same view on abortion that Romney does, which is the same view that many (not all) Mormons have, which can be read here. I've also been thinking a lot about Elder Oaks' recent talk about protecting children. But I think it's not always a black and white issue. I've had two babies. I feel for every woman who has a baby, whether the baby was wanted or not. BABIES ARE A BIG FREAKING FAT DEAL. I have felt the feelings of wanting a baby to go away. (Every day much? Ha.) So, I guess I can just empathize. Whatever that means ... it's scary to say. I'm still figuring it out. As for women's issues in general, I favor Obama a bit more. Actually I favor Obama a lot more. Wow, women's issues are complicated for me. I must be a woman or something.
Gay marriage: Obama There's a really long answer for this one. I kind of want to write it here. But I kind of don't. How about this: I'll email you my answer if you want it.
Energy / Environment: Obama In my great hometown of Roosevelt, Utah, it's drill baby drill ... and it's causing a boom here! It's very exciting. I'm serious. I, personally, having visited here for several weeks, am excited about this. It's great. And I support oil drilling. However, I support broader thinking in terms of cleaner energy. So, Obama for the win.
Foreign policy: Obama Let's be honest, I just think Hilary Clinton is doing a really good job as Secretary of State. So, keep her.
Gun control: Neither Getting a gun in this country needs to be approximately 4 billion times harder than it is and neither candidate is willing to touch gun rights with a 10 foot pole. It's unfortunate. Because how many times have people had time to go get their gun and shoot an intruder, aka self defense? And how many times have guns fallen into the hands of minors and the mentally ill and led to horrible tragedies? Yeah. The end. 
Economy / Jobs: Romney Obama inherited a bad economy and the first thing he did was ram Obamacare through ... bad move. He should have been focused more on jobs and the economy. I trust Romney more when it comes to this. It's the businessman thing. However, I don't truly think that either president can really deliver a magic pill that makes everything go away overnight or even in four years. Economists can't even figure out the economy (ever take Economics 101, the most absurdly maddening class ever? And then I had to take 102 ... death!), why would we expect a president and congress to solve this? But if someone tried to solve it, I'd throw my bets on Romney. Which I sometimes think is reason enough to vote for the guy! But then comes health care...
Health care: Obama While Obamacare was poorly timed, I do think our current health care system on a national level is waaaaaaayyyyy too complicated and we'd do well to adopt a more socialist system ... there I said it! P.S. The term "socialist" gets a bad rap in America ... I think there are many excellent things to learn from socialism. Also Nicolas Kristof for president! He sums up a lot of what I think about health care needing to be more of a safety net (yes, even a mandated safety net!) with that story. The 6th paragraph from the bottom beginning with "My second argument..." really sums it up well I think. So that's that.
Taxes: Who knows. They both just say what we want to hear and then do whatever. But here's what I think about taxes. I'm all about taxes! Tax away! See? I'm a socialist. Taxes pay for things I use everyday! Hello nice roads. Hello nice street lights. Hello public safety. Yes, my taxes will be misused and abused. But if I want community, state and national services that benefit me every single day, I'm happy to pay for them. Since more taxes means more government and we (moderate) liberals are all about more government, then this must mean Obama.
Immigration: Obama I used to care more about immigration. I was all "build that wall!" But now I guess I don't really care. America is a land of opportunity and I often feel bad that more people weren't lucky enough to be me. I was born here and they weren't. So I just get to wake up and go outside and have cool freedoms. And other people risk their lives to come here and pick strawberries. UGH. The inequity of it all. I say come one, come all. There's room. 
Education: Obama (or WHOEVER) Look, no one in their right mind is going to say "forget the schools!" to get elected. I want whoever is going to pay teachers better and reduce class sizes, for starters. And what are charter schools again? If I had a penny for every time my mom has had to explain them to me, I'd be trouncing both candidates in campaign money raised. Also, bring back recess, art class (No Child Left Behind you left all the budding artists behind), chicken nuggets and chocolate milk.

Okay, brave souls, how are YOU voting and WHY?

6 comments:

capturingtheride said...

Obama! Hands down! A lot of my reasoning is similar to yours - variances are probably my stance on abortion (I believe in AGENCY and that means the right to choose. I believe God is the final judge and we need to step back and let him do his job, since he's knows everyone and their circumstances better than we ever will. I also believe it would do much more harm than good to criminalize or make illegal abortion. It would kill even more people, actually.) And to keep my comment (relatively) short - basically I'm an emotional voter as well as one who cares about the issues, and emotionally, I just feel like Obama is more genuine. I feel like he knows where the middle class is coming from in a more personal way than Romney ever will (no offense to Mitt). I strongly dislike when either side bashes the other, but at the end of the day, it's politics. Everything else aside, I believe they're both good men who want to do the best job they can at leading our country - and bottom line, I think Obama will do a better job at fighting for what I believe in and hope for America to be than Romney ever will. So, there ya go. I'm glad you're friendly about this! It's crazy how a lot of my close friends and family members think Democrats are of the Devil or something - I'm a Democrat, and proud to be one :) (Jacob's an Independent like you - but I made him sign his name to the Democratic Party roster when he came with me to Caucaus for Obama last election :)

capturingtheride said...

PS - how ya liking the AZ heat? It's taking me some getting used to here in Austin. It's still hotter than a Seattle summer (and amazingly green!) We'll have to swap notes on how to survive HOT HOT HOT summers next summer! Hope you're enjoying it and doing well!

Kathryn Camara said...

Obama! Mitt seems like a nice enough guy but once he put Ryan on his ticket there was no more flip flopping for me. That was just good motivation for me to back Obama and pray that everyone else does too. And my big reasons for Obama are very similar to yours. You say it so well and made me laugh so we can just cut and paste your post here. I do hate the idea of destroying more lovely nature to drill for oil but if we can be independent while green energy gets going we better do it.

Jean said...

Weird time to de-lurk, but whatev. I like this post.
If I lived in state where my vote actually mattered, I'd still vote for Mitt for one reason: the economy. I trust him with it. And after being unemployed for eight months, I can tell you it was the most important issue to us by far.
Unfortunately (ha!) my husband found a good job in the oilfield and, well, that was that. We're all for drilling now. Though I'm fairly sure anyone who's visited the Basin wouldn't consider it (at least where the well sites are) lovely nature. :)
Lastly, I really like the ideas behind Obamacare but it was done the wrong way. There was no bipartisan effort. And Obama never passed a budget?

Maybe that was four reasons to vote Mitt. I agree with you on the rest of it!

The Finishing Touch said...

Diane Ware....
I am 58 years old....I am voting for the future in what I consider the most important presidential election yet of my lifetime. These are a few of the reasons that I will be voting for Mitt Romney.

I believe government should foster principles of self reliance. We must care for the truly needy but the rate of growing dependance on government programs is unsustainable. We cannot burden upcoming generations with debt. Spending must be managed & hard choices made as the very freedom of our country depends on it. As the stalemate of the last two years proves, we must have a president who can work both sides of the political aisle. Strong managerial skills, real workplace experience, and the ability to work out compromises will move us forward. WIth four Supreme Court justices now in their 70's, new appointees will change the court for a generation to come. And, on the issue that effects us most immediately and directly, the economy has been stagnant for the last 4 years. We must move forward at a faster pace with a plan for more JOBS and a plan that fosters an atmosphere for business growth. We all, and the rest of the world, benefit when the US economy is strong.

I am voting for the future of my children and grandchildren. I want them to have at least as much, if not more opportunity than I have had. I am voting for Mitt Romney.

30 year-old Dad said...

Since Hillary Clinton has stated she will retire in January regardless of who wins, that shouldn't be a score for Obama.

Also, I'm curious what you think about mandatory preschool for 4y/o. I recall such an Obama proposal last election.