Thursday, January 13, 2011

Zany Christmas



We had another great Christmas. Here's a slideshow. Some highlights:

*Birdie turned into her alter ego "Bird Turd" this trip. Sleep was TERRIBLE, she was super clingy, did not warm up to one relative and didn't care about her cousins. It stressed me out and made me somewhat crabby. Maybe my alter ego is "Mad Crab Mom." Or something. I was not the pleasantest of holiday elves.

*Christmas Eve in our family is for giving homemade gifts. I won't go into all the details of each because some are inside jokes, but some epic ones this year included:

- Tyler gave Dad a "Hands Free Hygienator." Ty's almost done with dental school and just wants to ensure easy access to the clean teeth lifestyle.

- KarieAnn draped an Indian blanket on her shoulders and read Mark an Indian story. It started, "'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the teepee..." We laughed so hard ... especially because KarieAnn has that Ute voice down perfectly.

- Heather made Owen a die to help him decide his major, a cassette tape wallet and homemade cologne to remind him of his mission called, "Streets of India." Main ingredient: curry.

- Mark gave Roger a picture from our youth with his Grinch face superimposed over the kids which said, "You been Grinching long?" (The saying was, "You been farming long?")

* About 2.5 feet of snow fell right before we got to Roosevelt so BOY did we have a white Christmas. Dad put all the boys to work right away shoveling and plowing. Adam spent 3 hours on the tractor plow one morning. Woo wee, we city folk aren't used to all that manual labor! (Notice: I didn't do any manual labor, but I'm just guessing that's what Adam was thinking.)

*We went sledding. It was super fun! It made Birdie laugh a lot (and also cry a bit).

*With Owen in the mix you know there's going to be volleyball! We played several rousing games at the church with his posse and we all decided we weren't half bad for old fogies (Owen would give you a different synopsis, but don't listen to him).

*With Owen in the mix you know ping pong tournaments are in full swing as well. I won't go into it, but just know the women were excluded. And I was bitter.

*Heather and I went to the fitness center for a couple classes. OUCHIE. Oh the pain of being out of shape. It hurts me inside and out.

*I read William Stegner's Crossing to Safety over the holidays. It was lovely.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Seeing all these pictures makes me miss your sweet, wonderful family. Hello to all you Hullingers!

derrickandlisadye said...

Hey Martha. I am super excited for you to have a baby boy. I honestly secretly loved my baby boy more than my girls. Now not to be rude but my little boy has always been super snuggly and lovey and yummy. He is a total momma's boy and my girls didn't really want much to do with me. Well except when they were hungry. I think you will love having a boy. Good luck with the pregnancy. I am also pregnant and having a boy. when are you due? me June 7th. Although I have to say I am probably 6 times the size of you. How would it be to be petite? I often wonder that. Well enjoy your pregnancy. I am so excited for you!!!