Wednesday, January 05, 2011

About A Boy

Well, we are having a boy. Although I have four brothers and a dad and a husband, I still find the prospect of raising a boy and loving a boy perplexing. WILL I even love him? Are boys as lovable as girls? Do they do as many cute things? And the big question that haunts me: will he even be cute? I know some pretty nondescript looking boys. They don't look like anything. I know some pretty cute little boys, too. But on the whole, little girls are cuter. Sorry, boys. However, check out these insanely adorable pictures of Adam as a chubby little cherub.

Is he not a brown haired, brown eyed version of Sienna? YES HE IS!

And he had an older sister who shared things like her suckers. Maybe Sienna will be nice like that, too.


But probably not. I think she'll just be mad and jealous and stomp her foot a lot like she does now when other kids come around.

Then there's the question of what to name him? Here's the list I've got so far:

Luca/Lucca
Roman
Ronan
Jude/Judas
Jack
Lucas
Jonah
Jonas
Noah
Asher
Gavin
Grayson/Greyson

Adam only okayed Luca/Lucca, Jack, Jonah, Jonas and Noah so far. My top favorite is Jude. But anyone who follows People.com knows why Sienna and Jude cannot be brother and sister. (The rest of you Google Jude Law and Sienna Miller.) Durned celebrities.

What are you favorite boy names? Is it just me or are there so few options for good, cool, somewhat different/unique boy names?

21 comments:

The Brandleys said...

I know exactly what you mean!! Naming boys is totally lame, but on the bright side they can be extremely adorable! Althought I may be a tad biased since I've never experienced a girl... mmmmm.
Anyway good luck with that name... I vote for Jonas, but again I am also a tad Biased. Oh or Noah. Also I met a really cute Moses a few years back. I know it's not on your list but Matt wont let me use it and I want someone to!

Fig said...

Aw, I love boy names. I'd give you some of my faves but judging by your list, they probably wouldn't be quite your style.

(Also, hooray a boy!! He will be fabulous. FABULOUS.)

I love Jude, Jack and Noah. My favorite on your list is probably Lucas. I like Luca too, but if you do Lucca you will forever be correcting pronunciations.

I rather dislike both the Rs and the Grayson/Greyson. But do your thang.

Also, here's a true story. I was just the other day telling Micah (who is considering naming her baby girl Jude) how annoyed I am that Judas Iscariot ruined Judas for everyone. Judas is a great name! But now that you have it on your list, I have decided it's not ruined at all. You could totally pull it off. I like it!

House of Hullinger said...

Jude is my all time favorite. Back in the day when Roger and I were trying for another child we picked the names Roman, Asher and Gavin. So glad that I didn't have another boy to give those names to. Who cares about the celebrities. I think A little Jude would fit perfectly into your family. After all if I cant use the name then somebody should in this family.
Having a boy is the greatest thing. I know you can't imagine it now but moms and sons have a special connection. I have a Mamas boy and I love it. They are just as kissable and huggable as little girls. Let me just say that I can't imagine life without either one of my children. My little girl and my little boy. Besides you just might grow to love the laid back chill-ness of a boy. They are very different than little girls. I bet that all of the things that you think that are hard about Sienna wont exist in your boy. Boys are less drama for the most part.

Haley said...

The trouble with naming is that everyone has their own associations with a name that kill it for you. Like Sienna & Jude. Or Jonas (makes me think of the Jonas Brothers). Much fewer cool/unique options for boys, but I do like the ones you've listed. Different, but not unpronounceable or made-up. I like Lucas (you could even pronounce it the French way like Luca). Asher and Gavin are great too.

Here's a few of my favorites to add to your list:

Brendan
Caleb
Duncan
Dylan
Eden
Emery
Frasier
Gabriel
Gareth
Malcolm
Mason
Myles or Miles
Oliver
Neale
Rory
Sawyer
Silas
Soren
Tristan
Wiley

Hope this helps! So excited for you!

House of Hullinger said...

Also, please do not do the "R" names or the "G" names, especially Greyson. blek!!! If you use that one not only will you not love your baby but I wont either.

Chris, Krista and Conor Bolton said...

My vote is for Jack or Lucas...those names were on my list originally but were vetoed by the hubby. Also, I know what you mean about being nervous about boys. I grew up with all girls so I had no idea what to expect. My little boy is the most cuddly little mamas boy there is and I love it! You will too...

House of Hullinger said...

HELLO!!!!! have you not seen Hunter?

mom of seven said...

I vote for Jude, Jack, Jonah, or Noah. Congrats! I know picking names for boys is hard, it's even harder when you narrow it down by only doing certain things, like mine had to be five letter names. :)

Shanna said...

I feel the same kind of nervousness about having a girl as you do a boy. I just don't know what I would do with a girl. New teritory is always nerve racking. But i can promise you this, boys are so much fun! Zayne is so lovey and always comes up to me during the day to tell me how much he loves me. There is a special bond between a mom and son that you just can't describe until you have one. You will love it! And I love the name Jude also, And I have to confess that I am getting names off your boys list that everyone is putting on here lol

Natalie said...

Gavin, Gavin, Gavin!!!! It is my all time favorite and we would have a Gavin except...well, Gavin Gowen just is horrible. I would like to live vicariously through you, so please pick Gavin!
And a few other things - I hope my boys are on your list of cute boys you know :) and although I never pictured myself the mom of 3 boys, I can't imagine how life would be without them. It's so fun to have rowdy, crazy boys!

Ariana said...

Jude is my favorite! But Jack and Lucas are also cute. Also, I wouldn't worry about Jude & Sienna, by the time your kids are grown up they won't be famous any more.

Karlea said...

Jude was one of my top faves too, but Don never liked it much!!! I thought Jude and Jolie would make cute twin names!!! LOL...just about died when you said Jude and Sienna. Too funny. Love the names. Can't go wrong with any of them!

The Olsens said...

Martha! If you don't want your boy I'll take him!! I'm just the opposite, I'm terrified of having girls cuz I just don't know what I'll do with them! I need boys to run around and do cute boy things. Plus, boys will punch each other and then be best friends whereas girls are drama, drama, drama. My perfect family would be boy, boy, girl. Girl last so she has no choice but to be tough like her brothers.

As for names, please don't name him Luca or Lucas. It just reminds me of a thug. Plus I know/employ a Lucas and... he's a thug. Jonah, Jonas and Noah are awesome and I approve (cuz I know that matters :)) Asher and Gavin are wuss names and Grayson actually is great, but he better grow up to be a scholar or something. Sorry, I hope that didn't sound rude or too opinionated, but you asked!!! Miss you guys and can't wait to someday see you.

Lacey said...

I'm partial to the name Asher myself. It means happy and "blessed of God," which I just love.
Truthfully, I'm liking all your name selections. I don't think you can go wrong.

Inez Valentina said...

Celebrities, schmelebrities. Jude is a great name!

Kathryn Camara said...

Amen to that! So hard to find good boy names. Hyrum was not even on our list (he was going to be Eli) but when he was born that all went out the window anyway.
Boys are TOTALLY cute and fun and do completely adorable stuff all the time. Hyrum blows kisses and cries for he Papa (grandpa) and Uncle Shteeeeee (my brother Stephen). Also he loves football and expresses this love everyday. It's awesome. Having a boy will be great!

The Finishing Touch said...

Adam left the hospital as "baby boy Ware"...getting an early start is smart! I like Jack...definitive, a "guys, guy" name...only one syllable but we had a wonderful grandfather named Jack. You and Adam will come up with something great.

Meg said...

Ooh! I'm so excited for you to have a boy! I thought for sure I would miss the bows and dresses but it is seriously so fun finding cute little boy clothes AND I still get to do the girlie stuff with Madeleine. And at least for us, our girlie was/is high energy, drama, and not super cuddly. Owen is mellow, laid back, and super cuddly. But I know everyone is different. :)

You have an awesome list. I think names are hard. Period. I love Jonas and Gavin- they are really good, cute names but not over-used. Hope everything keeps going well for the pregnancy!

Christine said...

Hello Martha,

We need another Woodrow Giles in the family! Congratulations to you and best wishes for a healthy, happy, feel-good pregnancy!

Christine

madrilenamer said...

Congrats on having a boy!! Just so you know, they can be exceptionally adorable! And they do super cute things, too. Just so you can put your mind at ease. I know what you mean about boy names. It was so hard for us. Of course we settled on Elias (Eli), but there was a long hard road before that. I always liked Asher, but that doesn't exactly work with Ishii, does it? We really like the name Rivers. Well, I do. Ezra is also less-than-common. I think you have a pretty good list started. I know a little boy named Luca, who's super cute. Anyways, good luck with that! I'm excited for you and your family!!

Carol said...

I had the same concerns about having a boy. Probably that's why my subconscious kept reminding me of all the ways an ultrasound gender prediction could be wrong and I was secretly half expecting a girl all the way up to his birth. But I ended up loving him anyway. Weird, huh?

I like the names Rowan and Virgil, but both are vetoed for my family. Not that there's anything wrong with the names you already have. Jude is cute, and I second the comment that no one will know/care about the celebrities 5 years from now when he goes to school and names really start to matter to the public anyway.

Good luck! I hope now that the holiday craziness is over we will get to see you sometime soon!