Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why You Should Play Santa & Mrs. Claus at Least Once

Adam was asked to play Santa at this year's ward Christmas party. His reply to the asker: "You know I'm really skinny, right?" Asker was not deterred. So we headed to the store and got three big bags of polyfil and prepared to make him a jolly, believable Santa. I was Santa's helper, which meant I was the stuffer of the costume behind the scenes. We ended up using 1/2 a bag of polyfil. Turns out you don't want to scare the kids by showing up as morbidly obese Santa. We removed his lap fat and butt fat and just kept it simple with the bowl full of jelly: belly fat.

I thought we'd pass the evening as bored, dutiful servants, but it actually turned out to be really fun. Here's what went down:

1. Kids still believe in Santa. Who knew?

2. Seeing firsthand the cruelty of parents and just how far they will push their screaming toddlers just for that token photo op.

3. Kids love Santa, but what they really love are Mrs. Claus' fuzzy knee socks.

4. Listening in as Santa makes promises no parent can keep and then finishing off the visit with a nice stick of pure sugar from me.

5. Seeing the confusion and horror on kids' faces as wholesome Sister Ware sits on Santa's lap for her very own photo op.

6. Taking the kids' letters home and laughing really hard at them, especially the ones with no writing, just stickers.

5 comments:

Allan said...

PS. did you know that the post office gives letters to Santa to local charity organizations and they actually try to get the kids what they want/need?!?! What are YOU going to do? Hmmm?

Shanna said...

Love it!!!

Isaak and Jackie said...

I think you two should be Mr and Mrs Claus for all Christmas parties.

Lauren Andersen said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Melody said...

Hi, guys! Trent and I died laughing and this post. Hilarious! Would you mind if I link to it from my post, "The Santa Phenomenon" on my blog? Take a look at it (I posted it on Dec. 20) and leave me a comment to let me know.