Monday, December 08, 2008

What has two wheels and costs $5,000?

Soon I will be making the biggest decision of my life, and I don't say that lightly. I don't just mean my life up to this point, I mean my entire life. That is to say that I have never, nor will I ever, come to a more important crossroad than this. The dilemma: So many bikes, and I can only buy one.

What? That's like asking Steinbrenner to choose between Jeter and A-Rod, or asking Barack to choose only one former Clinton administration official. That's like saying 'Who's better? President Hinckley or President Monson?' Not a fair question.

Welp, I've narrowed it down to three. Here they are, in no particular order.

Felt F2SL $4,999



Pros: Felt gives you great bang for your buck. The brand is known world wide, sponsers arguably the best American based road cycling team (Garmin-Slipstream), and is based in Irvine which is clearly awesome. Note the Dura-ace componants. For those of you who don't speak bike, Dura-ace is Shimano's top of the line shiz. What Dura-ace lacks in Campagnolo sex-appeal, it makes up in pedigree and general awesomeness. Dura-ace is not found on any other bike at this pricepoint period.

Cons: The Felt brand is completely void of Euro-cred Also, many hard core roadies are suspicious of Felt, b/c no one can figure out how the crap the company can afford to sell its bikes so cheaply. They must be using child labor or substandard carbon fibre or something. And yes, it's spelled 'fibre.' No comments about that please. Lastly, I don't really love the colours.

2009 Colnago CLX - $4,700



Pros: Style is everything in cycling and riding a Colnago is like sipping a stiff martini while wearing your collar up. A man on a Colnago can impregnate a woman just by glancing at her as he speeds by. People don't know about that in America, but in Italy it's a well known fact. Colnagos are indicative of impeccable taste and class. Dudes who ride them always buy clothes that fit, never take their sunglasses off while indoors, and ALWAYS have two or three days of stubble on their face even right after a shave. Do I need to continue? Just look at that thing! Actually, don't look too long ladies... you never know!

Cons: The setup in my price range comes with Campagnolo Centaur componants. As mentioned above, Campy destroys Shimano when it comes to style, but the Centaur gruppo is Campy's 4th best setup.

Specialized Tarmac Expert - $3,700



Pros: This is the safe, practical choice. Specialized is probably America's most trusted brand. The Tarmac model is used by Pros everywhere, including world champ Paolo Bettini, and two time Paris-Roubaix champ, serial cocain user, and cradle robber Tom Boonen (although he doesn't ride the Tarmac in Paris-Roubaix, let's make that clear). With Shimano Ultegra componants (Shimano's second tier stuff) it's pretty well tricked out. Plus, you can't beat that price.

Cons: Specialized is The Man, and is the favorite bike of Dentists everywhere. I would never make fun of dentists, but you get what I mean. In my opinion the brand has a funny way of sucking the life out of you and making you a total Fred (wannabe). I can say this because I currently ride a Trek, which does the same thing, only worse. Now I'm not saying all Specialized riders are freds, I'm just saying a that a lot of freds ride Specialized. Also, Irvine cyclists at large have a very unhealthy obsession with Specialized bikes. It doesn't help that the biggest bike shop in town is a Specialized dealer.

So what am I going to do? Right now I completely torn. It's really quite the dilemma isn't it? Congrats if you're still reading. I'm sure I lost most of you before the first pic.

12 comments:

Fig said...

I read the whole thing, and wondered the whole time how many pairs of impractical shoes I could get for $,5000.

Don't buy anything the Mormons think is good. That is my advice to you, in bikes and in life.

Fig said...

Is there an uglier way to mistype 5,000? I think not.

M-Ware said...

haha! fig, i am proud of you for making it thru. i was proud of myself.

Heather E. said...

I totally read the whole thing. My brother, an orthodontist, has a Specialized. Go with numero 2. I liked that description best.

Lacey said...

I'd love to help you, but I don't speak bike.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a hobby...especially with a new baby on the way!

M-Ware said...

yes, anonymous. some people spend money on babies. we choose bikes. they really are more important.

Anonymous said...

So sorry that sounded much more haha funny when I was thinking it and even when I read it back... Now that I am back and see your response it obviously didn't relay my sarcastic whit I am so famous for...(not)
Sorry..we spend oodles on kayaking
didn't mean to offend! :)
I need to work on my commenting skills!

Maddox and Kobe...are cuter than all your grandkids combined said...

Some man thoughts...the Felt F2SL and its dura-ace and carbon F is alot like the Vizio plasma tvs. Vizio sells for way cheaper than anyone and no one has made any complaints in the quality. They are just as good because of the competitive theory techno equilibrium. Who needs euro cred your lil italians pronounce soccer futbol?
Colors are more of thing to the females. How you ride with your soul, sweat, tears, mud and dust will just cover the frame with the color brown ruggedness. That being said I don't know if road biking can be considered rugged. Numero uno is the choice for non-dentist Americans. Prove you love biking more than diapers, strollers and a car safe baby seat as anonymous implied and buy Number 1.

the heinrich family - extended said...

go with the colnago - i'm in favor of anything having to do with having kids.

Natalie said...

Is it just me, or is the middle bike missing a few key components?

Otherwise, it by far has the coolest paint, which is the extent of my ability to judge a bike.

emetski said...

dang, your facebook update sucked me in! Disclaimer, as you know I'm a non-Dentist Specialized guy. My observation is that in the O.C. rich, old and slightly overweight Dentists ride Colnago's (with Record components, of course). I base my Bike purchases more on the local shop than a specific brand. My 20 year loyalty to RNR has moved me from Trek to Litespeed to Specialized - but the key is that the shop always has time for me and service is free for life! For a more euro bike, check out Look and Orbea at RNR. Both will look good with your new white cycling shoes! Bob