Friday, May 23, 2008

Roughin' It

We are headed to Oregon tomorrow morning for an 8 day trip. I just discovered I have been packing for a trip to Southern California and don't have the "old tennis shoes" and "long underwear" that the river rafting preparation list metions as "necessary items for survival on this rugged, insurmountable, class XXX river."

I do, however have 7 t-shirts, 3 pairs of flip flops, 4 pairs of shorts, aviator sunglasses and a Thouroughly Modern Millie-inspired sun hat. I'm kind of freaking out at this point. Because what's worse than getting to your destination, ready to look fit for the trip, only to find that you planned all wrong and - even worse - will be cold every.single.day? Because the weather forecast says it is to be 'showers' every.single.day...

We're camping and hiking and river rafting and mountain biking and I have maybe one item of clothing that fits in the 'outdoorsy' genre. I purged all of that to save myself from ever going that route with my wardrobe again. And now I will shiver - all in the name of fashion! I'm afraid I have forgotten how to rough it and may be miserable, having traded in the simple outdoor pleasures for shopping trips.

When I'm not shivering I'll be reading in my sleeping bag, I guess. It's my first time using it - the sleeping bag - which I got as a wedding present from Adam's choice of registry: REI. This will be a week of firsts with our camping gear that we got two years ago. We thought we were campers then. I guess we'll see...

6 comments:

Super B said...

good luck as you venture into the great and chilly outdoors. remember, to keep the mountain lions away just bang to sticks together as you hike.

Heather E. said...

I can just see allen and mark leaving a comment like this: "southern california has spoiled you... blah blah." and then they would put a mental note on registering for their weddings (if ever) at REI. Seriously. REI. Only Adam. Grizzly Adam.s. Oh and nice touch with everyone's blogging favorite trick. The.period.is.king. I haven't tried that one yet.

Aves said...

Good luck girl! You are tougher than me! My idea of camping is in a RV or hotel :) Hopefully the weather gets nice for you guys! PS thanks for the sleeping advice, you're lucky you don't have sleeping issues!!

Marilee Leishman said...

Have fun! That actually sounds like a lot of fun to me, although I would be a little scared to do it for 8 days!

diane ware said...

Oh I just figured out how to do this and left my comment about the trip on the "Degas" page...I guess you'll have to go looking for it...have fun!

House of Hullinger said...

It took me 8 years to talk Roger into getting camping gear. We were finally able to go last summer and we fought the whole time. we locked the keys in the truck. we didn't bring any water and the campground didn't have any spickets. And we got a flat tire on the way down. Oh and we froze. I was grumpy the whole time too because Roger and I didn't resolve our conflicts. Oh the Drama. We did have the best camp food ever though. I have learned how to be a good camp cook. Especially breakfast. Can't wait to go again!!!