Tuesday, April 15, 2008

RED Hot

Today's post is brought to you by the color: RED. And the temperature: 90 degrees. This is what last Saturday was all about. By 7:30 am we were in the sun and sweating. This is us at the MS Walk with my co-workers and boss. The ol' boss puts together a team every year called Ruby's Raiders, in honor of her mother, Ruby, who died from MS.
We chowed on some muffins and tons of fruit during the race, during which I was going for a PR (personal record): walk really slow while eating everything you see. I ate 3 muffins (mini), 1 orange, several grape bunches, 2 bottles of juice, 1/2 a bottle of water, 1/2 a banana and at the finish line I had pizza and chicken....at 9:30 am. I really regretted setting - and reaching - that PR.On the drive home from the MS Walk, windows down and still panting, it was apparent that the day was not cooling down anytime soon, and that's when we knew we had to do something about it. After checking a phone message from my mom that said, "Martha, we are picking up trash along the highway. What are you doing?" it was decided: since we live in California, we will go to the beach. It's that simple. When you live here, you go to the beach. When you live in Roosevelt, Utah, you do your duty. Good riddance, duty.

Our friend James grew up in a little place called Emerald Bay. When he said his house had a view...the guy was NOT screwing around. His entire front balcony is the ocean. Rough. This is us at Emerald Bay Beach. Again: Rough.

Adam coaxed me into my first swim of the season in a FRIGID ocean. There's only one way to coax M-Ware to take a swim in a frigid ocean: yank her from her beach chair and slap her booty all the way down. Ok, he didn't have to do that. I actually ran my own booty all the way into the ocean and didn't stop til I knew salt and sand boogers were going to be a part of my life for the next few hours.


Next red exhibit: I re-did my kitchen/dining room walls. Not terribly exciting but it's something I can finally live with. The left wall is my Christmas present to Adam: his favorite poems, framed. And the red stuff is a combo of some of my favorite things: sailboats, buildings and...red. Tell me if this combination works. The jury is still out for me and I need your opinion. REDdy, GO!

5 comments:

Heather E. said...

I LOVE the wall decor. It is so minimalistic but bright and bold. I really like it. A lot. And your swimsuit is cute to boot. And good job eating instead of walking to burn off calories.

Fig said...

I also LOVE the wall decor. And my mother also picked up Roosevelt (Gusher, actually) trash. Oh, and I like your suit too, which I was already going to say beFORE I saw that Heathair had said it, and also I find it extremely difficult to any sort of long-term walking without muffins.

Aves said...

Marth- all of my favorite things! Sun, food, Sun, beach, sun, and Red. I am so jealous of the beach part! I love your kitchen too! Umm... what is this STILL not being on your list of blogs?? A little hurt... a little hurt. :)

Marilee Leishman said...

I also am a fan of the decor, I can never do those formations very well. It looks nice though. Love your swim suite. You can't even tell you ate three meals before 9:30! ha ha. I could never pull that off.

katherine said...

you crack me up. "roosevelt duty" i do like the red collage and i am very sad we do not have real beaches in alaska. i will stay pasty white a little longer--boo