THE HILLS ARE ALIVE.
We stayed on the mountainside town of Beatenberg. The first night we stayed there we went for a walk around the neighborhood and loved the views. So we took pics of each of us. We are good at posing.
We wanted our Interlaken portion of the trip to be simple outdoors stuff. We hiked, biked, paddle boated, and watched parasailers land. It was lovely. When the kids weren't complaining.
Right up the street from our Airbnb was a hiking trail that went on for miles. We followed it until the kids fell apart.
Interlaken is between Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. Hence the name "interlaken" or "between lakes".
We went paddle boating on Lake Brienz. Gorgeous views on all sides. The color palette of Switzerland is amazing.
Turquoise water, green vegetation, blue mountains, white snow caps, white clouds, blue skies. Black and white striped shirts.
Treat to keep them going: baby bottle suckers. Weird.
Snack to keep them going: pretzel fishy crackers. They were a huge highlight. Anything crunchy and fish shaped will keep Noah happy for hours.
After the paddle boat ride we watched the parasailers land in a big field in Interlaken. It was mesmerizing. Sienna became obsessed with them and she wanted to do it soooooooo bad. I talked to one of the pilots who had just landed and she said there was no age limit and she'd be happy to take Sienna up. I really wanted to go, too, but there was no way we were letting our 9-year-old go up there. Someday, Sienna and I will parasail together. Just not this time.
Our humble Airbnb. It was an apartment on ground level and it was tight. It felt like camping but I'm so glad it wasn't. It threatened to rain every day we were staying there (4 nights, 5 days) but thankfully it only did at night.
There was a bike car rack snafu right before the trip and we could only fit three bikes on the car, so Adam brought his and the kids' bikes and we planned to rent one for me if we all wanted to use them together. But the adults just walked with the kids while they biked and it was great. Adam went on a couple big rides by himself. It ended up fine.
I went on a run every morning down the hillside into Beatenberg town and it was adorable.
One day we took the cable car up the mountainside of the Bernese Alps to two little remote towns, Gimmelwald and Murren. Cute, cute.
Right when you get off the cable car at Gimmelwald, you run right into this playground. The kids stayed here forever and loved every bit of it.
The draw to these two towns is that there are no cars. Except come to find out, there are cars ... just jeep-like vehicles used for yard work and maintenance. But, still, for the most part, it's just people walking around. In Gimmelwald, I talked to one townswoman at the park (she was there with her toddler daughter) and she said there are no stores and schools and the population is 80. She has to go by cable car to Murren or Lauterbrunnen for groceries.
There were a few of these charming little self-handling stores along the way. You take what you want and pay where it says. Cute, cute.
Decorating with cow bells is a thing. I saw it a few places, none more prominent than this display. On closer inspection, they are ginormous and appear to be awards for superior farming and cow raising.
My favorite part of the entire week in Switzerland was these water fountains everywhere. They'd be on your path right when you needed a drink or a refill of your water bottle or a rinse of your hands. The water was cold and fresh - the best I've ever tasted. Free public water is always the hugest treat for an American living in Europe!!
The walk around Gimmelwald took a short time and at the top of the pathway, I had one of the kids take this pic of Adam and me. Well done whoever that was!
After walking around Gimmelwald, we took the cable card ten minutes to Murren. Upon exiting the station, we happened upon this Swiss Army Knives display and Adam and I reminisced about our childhoods when we each had a version of one of these knives all to ourselves. Ahhhh the olden days. I have the best memories with my old red knife. Toothpick, nail file, tweezers ... I don't even think I ever used the knife. It was my little kid version of a hygiene kit I guess. Carrying it around made me feel tough, prepared AND well kempt.
Switzerland is so painfully expensive so we ate in a lot. I prepped some freezer meals beforehand and made simple pasta some other nights. We wanted one splurge meal of fondue, and we had it at Hotel Edleweiss in Murren. It came with no option for meats or vegis ... just bread. It was 50 frances ($50) and wow. We were a little disappointed. The kids' pizza seemed like a better option.
The apple strudel was yummy! In all the pastries I tried in Switzerland, they had a nut paste that I've never had elsewhere. So whatever that is, it's Swiss. (Can you tell I did not do much research for this trip?)
We watched parasailers up close and personal at this mountaintop restaurant. Incredible.
The restaurant also had a trampoline for kids to jump on while waiting for food. Ah-maz-ing. It left Adam and me to eavesdrop on the many American travelers eating all around us. I learned about these two specific towns from a Rick Steves travel video, and I'm guessing everyone else did, too. Post apple strudel ice cream. Yeah.
We walked down the most perfectly paved path from Murren to Gimmelwald.
When in Switzerland, getcha some Toblerone.
And also take this recipe home courtesy of our Airbnb wall hanging. Ya welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment