Sunday, November 09, 2014

Hiking

The sun came out on Friday! What a reason to celebrate by spending some quality time with nature. I got together with my nature school homies and we hiked around Carkeek Park.

Noah was energized by the presence of friends. Last week he and I hiked around Carkeek in the pouring rain alone and he was so angry. I don't blame him, but I was desperate for an outing. So I bribed him with the promise of a grocery store donut at the end. It did the job I guess. But he wasn't going to be happy about it.

I'm just so mean and horrid.

Anyway, back to sunshine. This tree was really cool.
 The kids explored inside it and Noah waved his giant leaf, indeed the biggest leaf we have yet seen with our bare eyes.
 It's salmon running season, which totally lived up to the hype! The salmon swim upstream to lay their eggs and then die. Isn't that strange?! They were HUGE, about three feet long, and thrashing all over the place in the shallow stream which made them easy for everyone to see. It was seriously so cool. Here's Levi, Noah, Brielle, and Lief watching them.
 After the hike, Noah still had some energy to burn so he and I headed to the train tracks and the beach to wait for a train. Alas, someone told us the trains were stopped because a young man was trying to throw himself in front of the train and was being restrained and about to be carried off by the cops. The weirdest stuff happens at this park; it's unfortunate because the scenery is so beautiful.


 A happy Mr. Nobes and mom.
 Yesterday was sunny again! A family hike was in order. We went to North Bend and hiked in Olallie State Park. I made the kids "fishing poles."

 They dipped them in every puddle they came across.
 Even on a cloudless day, you can still be stuck in dusk during a hike. Such is the state of the forest thicket in the PNW.
 The view at the end of our hike, Twin Falls.

Washington, you're a babe.

No comments: