Thursday, January 02, 2014

December & Christmas

 For the past few Christmases, I've made a to-do list for December, an advent calendar I guess you could call it. I just want to make sure I take advantage of all the holiday-ish things to do in my area. So here's the evidence of all of that.

I met my cousin, Carrie, in Bellevue to experience Snowflake Lane, this magical little street party at Bell Square that injects holiday cheer into your very veins.

 They manufacture snow, they dance for you and with you...
 ...they give you peppermint swirl Tootsie Pops and dazzle you with their costumes. It is a mega blast.
 Carrie and I were feeling it.
 Nick and Violet were feeling it.
 Then they stayed at my place over night. Carrie and Nick went to the temple the next morning and I watched the hoodlums.

 It was really fun! This little one is not a hoodlum, though, let's be clear about that.
One afternoon I skipped Noah's naptime to venture downtown for all the fun to be had there.



 We went to Seattle Center to see the train village.

 The kids got to take turns with the conductor to "drive" the train.

 Then we spent a loooooong time running around the fountain.
 We headed to Westlake Plaza to ride the carousel.



 It was situated right in our old stomping grounds, the "blue tree park" we called it when we lived downtown. I love the addition of the lights on the blue trees. Downtown is pretty enchanting during the holidays.



 We figured we'd do the tiny tree one more year and get a real one next year. Here she is.
 And boom, just like that we're in Utah. We stayed a night at Mark & Wendy's place in SLC and went with them to Christmas festivities at This is the Place Heritage Park.


 The next morning we visited both sets of Adam's grandparents. It was great to see them all.

 One snowy drive later, we were in Roosevelt. Crazy Uncle Roger made an appearance.
 Noah's crazy "smile" face makes many, many appearances.
 The frost makes an appearance.
And our old and constant friend, butter, makes an appearance for Christmas Eve crab fest!

 We had an evening of acro-yoga. Not weird at all.


 Hunter got carpet burn on his nose when he fell after he, Izzy, Roger and I were at the apex of our human triangle....or whatever that thing was.
 Our fugliest sister faces made an appearance. The Grinch, however, did not make an appearance. ;) ;)
 We made sugar cone Christmas trees with the neighbors.

 Sienna was generally overwhelmed, bless her sweet little bird heart.
 Haven was enthusiastic! Frosting and candy. What's not to be jazzed about?
 Channeling his inner Italian, Adam made homemade ragu for everyone one evening. It was delish.
 Plenty of chit-chat time with the ladies. I can't remember when Wendy and her girls weren't a part of our family. They fit in and are soooooooo fun. Not to mention smart, beautiful, fashionable and just all around awesome. Heather and I have learned a lot from them, and have even been inspired to grow our hair out! Don't count on it getting to McKenna's length anytime soon. But still, past the shoulders is quite the accomplishment for either of us.
 We went to Jiffy Pawn for a look at the turquoise selection.
The hair whizzes give the little ones some braids. Cornrow Christmas! #mahoot
 Mark's family sang a song to the tune of Cups / When I'm Gone all about missing Mom & Dad when they leave on their mission to Australia. It was so sweet, it made me laugh and cry.

 Adam and I were pretty disciplined this trip and worked out almost everyday! It helps that the nice people at Highway 40 Fitness kept NOT punching our punch pass. They are too nice.
 Adam worked hard on his homemade gift for Wendy, a holiday velociraptor.
 We got a surprise visit from Adam's sister, Julia, and finally met her new baby, Levi! I'm still learning how to pick up a newborn as you can see.
 She's a pro. And a beautiful mama. This Levi is such a sweet baby! I saw him fall asleep about 11 times, no prob. I almost had newborn envy. Almost.
 The desolate, snow-covered fields of East Elementary School.

Duck lips on Christmas Eve.
 Getting ready to open one gift on Christmas Eve.
 The Patriarch and Matriarch look on.
 Mom read the Christmas Story and Dad read the real Christmas story.
 Lucky sisters in matching jammies!
 I drew my dad's name for homemade gift. I made him a "back massage t-shirt" - it's a town with a road and the kids drive little cars all over the roads - that's the massage. You're welcome, Dad!
 Owen got a couple volleyball trash-talking T-shirts from Wendy. This one says, "If you want soft serve, go to Dairy Queen." #powned

 Mark got a bevy of T-shirts from Heather. You see, Mark has all these philosophies on life...and they just need to be captured on T's. She's selling them at next year's Holly Fair, so get excited, Roosevelt!


 And everybody's favorite:
 Putting Myton on the map! #thatshowwedo
Tyler and/or Heather made Adam a shirt from a phrase he proclaimed when we were eating at Pie Bar, "I'm a pie guy!" Plus a pie. Good gift, guys!
Other homemade gifts not pictured here: Owen made a laugh track CD for Heather so she can LOL in real life instead of just typing it. Mark made McKenna a mod podge plaque/board of memorabilia from her old car, complete with the license plate TNDRMRCZ (Tender Mercies). Some super funny stories came with that one! Dad got me a steering wheel cover purchased at Holly Fair. Pretty sweet. Aaaaaaannndd I can't remember the rest. Did someone get something for Mom? Sorry, Mom.

Then came Christmas morning. It was a whirlwind. 





 Sienna was thrilled with her loot! Can you tell?
 Heather and I traded off wearing The Hairpiece. We need a better name for that monster.
 Noah fell asleep on me. Darling boy.
 Back in Seattle, Adam and I went on our first real date in a long time. SUSH.
 And dessert at A La Mode. Cuz he's a pie guy.
 And Noah loves his noisy fire truck.
A fabulous holiday indeed!

No comments: