Monday, September 16, 2013

Phoenix to Seattle

Buying a home is a lot like finding a husband. Check out the options, date around, weigh the pros and cons of each, consider function and veneer, let go of some of the things you thought you wanted, embrace the important things you know you really, really want, make a decision, watch the stars align, and commit. Woo, that was our last week in Seattle. Luckily we were able to complete all those steps in a matter of days. It really was incredible to watch the stars align. It almost seemed too easy! I'm paranoid and superstitious, so hopefully me saying that out loud didn't just jinx the whole thing. But it's pretty secure, so unless the whole earth explodes, we are the proud owners of a three-story, three-bedroom, three-bathroom (or 2.5 or whatever) town home in Seattle. It's back in our old ward, in a neighborhood we're somewhat familiar with, and we'll share a driveway with a family we already know! How cool is all of that? Plus it is right across the street from a park (heaven for a mom with small kids), and it's in a quiet neighborhood which is also close to a freeway entrance and a main road that shoots you straight to downtown. Adam's commute will be 30 min. on bike or bus. We (I) had originally dismissed the neighborhood because I remember it being kind of ghetto. And it still is. The park is a hang out for bums. There are some dilapidated buildings in the area. And that main thoroughfare that gets you to the city? It doesn't have the greatest reputation for being a safe haven. Adam's bus he'll ride to work is actually a bit of a joke around town...as a hangout for the homeless. Sienna's assigned elementary school is also not so great. HOWEVER. Many of the surrounding neighborhoods have been improved and updated in the last couple years and I am making a prediction that it will trickle into our neighborhood. My neighbor already told me that a new school is being built down the road. Like a charter or private one or something. That'll improve property values, eh? But really, I do think good things are happening all around us. Our row of town homes was built in 2008, and we're not the only new kids on the block. But don't go thinking I want everything torn down and built too fancy. The city-wide inter-mingling of old and new, bland and bright, shabby and chic, white and rainbow, is part of Seattle's charm. Keep Seattle Colorful. That's my slogan, anyway.

So, as I spend one more week in Phoenix, trying not to go crazy in the 100+ degree weather that never ends, I have to say there are things I will miss. I will miss the year-round tan, never having to wear a jacket, desert sunsets and sunrises, running on the trails of South Mountain, pool-life with kids, the children's museum, cheap rent, never having to pay for parking, using that residual income to go on dates at least once a week, living off smoothies and salads, monsoons, our spacious apartment, abundant sunshine, and some really fabulous people who will be lifelong friends.

Things I'm looking forward to in Seattle? Wearing a coat, wearing pants, wearing boots, yes, just bundling up and all the fun layering that comes with it, getting into Cafe Bru (100% cacao beans brewed like coffee except they turn into hot chocolate...YEAH), wearing boots (I already said that one), wearing my hair au natural because it'll curl a bit in the humidity, trying out the 1 million awesome restaurants and cafes, running at Green Lake, running outside anywhere, puddle hopping with my kids during which they will wear adorable galoshes (boots, again, I tell ya, they're calling me), cooking lasagna, baking muffins, baking bread, baking, baking, baking and more baking, snuggling up in front of our fireplace, taking hot bubble baths, getting into hot yoga (maybe??), buying almond croissants at Honore bakery, visiting Pike Place market, taking the kids to the library, Carkeek Park, Golden Gardens, my awesome book group, getting back in touch with so many great people once again....

Shoot, I swear if I was moving back to Phoenix in a couple years, that paragraph would be long and the Seattle paragraph would be shorter. The two places are polar opposites and both really tough places to live because of the extreme weather.... but both have many redeeming qualities. I love them both for totally, completely different reasons. I'm so glad I got to live here for a year and discover the desert's finer qualities. I'm so, so happy to get back to a city that Adam and I both love. In fact, when we were house hunting last week, we went to dinner at our favorite family friendly hipster pizza place, I was eating my pizza (mission figs, goat cheese, prosciutto, balsamic reduction, rosemary...amazing), and a Ray LaMontagne song came on and I thought .... I'm home. I get to call Seattle home. Life is GOOD.

1 comment:

Maddox and Kobe...are cuter than all your grandkids combined said...

Congrats on putting solid roots in for now. The pizza sounds amazing as prosciutto always makes a fine topping. Life is good for you and fam. love you guys.