Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Long Drive + Cove Fort

The kids and I traversed 800 miles via The Fo (our Ford Focus) last Monday and Tuesday. Point A: Phoenix, Arizona. Point B: Roosevelt, Utah. There were the usual back seat kerfuffles but all in all it went amazingly well. Low expectations was the key as always. We stopped over in St. George for the night. The next morning, things were getting hairy right about the time I saw a sign for Cove Fort. I'd driven past this historic Mormon landmark my whole life. This time I stopped! It was a perfect break for our weary, cranky bones.
Turns out, I did not know one thing about Cove Fort.

This nice old man tour guide set the record straight. It had nothing to do with battles. It was a way station for traveling Mormons.

It had a telegraph office and post office.


 It had a kitchen...



 and a laundry room.

 It had 12 bedrooms for travelers to stay in.
 It may or may not have had this contraption, used to lift hay bales.
 Not sure if it had a garden then but it does now.

 That's a replica of a hat Brigham Young would have worn, that stallion.

 Here's a spinning wheel.

 We got to go walk around the top of the fort.
 That giant door is awesome.

The kids got plenty of wiggles out.


 No talk of pioneers is complete without a covered wagon thrown in the mix.


Ahoy, weary travelers! (That's us.)
 
I'm happy to be a modern day weary traveler ... air conditioning, pre-packaged food in coolers, picnic tables.
 
We are just suh blessed!

No comments: