Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Case Against Bows & Other Hair Matters

(First things first, is not my daughter captivating? MMmmMmMmmMMMmMMM)

Okay, now we can start. I wouldn't be surprised if many a folk think me a neglectful mother for not adorning Sienna's head with a satellite dish-sized bow on a daily basis. Especially because I complain so often that people mistake her for a boy. Well, I tell you, I just can't do it.

She does look insanely beautiful with a bow. But see how it slides down there?

It lands in her eyes more often than not, and I just can't be tasked with the duty of keeping it straight.

That's all. I just don't have the patience for bows. That's it. I think they are lovely. I just can't hack it when it comes to accouterments.

In other hair news, I gave Sienna her first haircut on Monday. She's five months old now and I figured it was time. Naturally. She's been rubbing it bald on the sides and back and her whole look was resembling that of a toupee-wearing grandpa. She was reminding me of Larry, Curly, and/or Mo and it was bugging me.

Here's her growth before the cut.

Here's an after shot, which doesn't show much except her adorable chubby profile.

I cut off a good centimeter.


Here's her sucking her thumb (palm always up) in response.

Ending with a much shorter mohawk. (Her eyes are still blue! What the?)


9 comments:

Carrie said...

The only bows that didn't fall down were the ones made out of tights (like the one I made you). But warning-- if you don't take advantage of doing it now, you may not get the chance for years. Because once Ruby discovered how to tear them out of her hair, it was OVER :) Ruby has some serious bow-dar. (bow radar). She looks darling. I think you should give it a try. Too pretty to pass up! :)

Fig said...

I must be honest and say that I don't like headbands on babies. They look like tourniquets. And large bows ... not for me either. Nor are piercings (my word, the pierced babies, I can't handle it).

So my daughters will always look like boys. You and I can commiserate.

And Sienna is BEAUTIFUL, bedazzled or not.

A-Ware said...

LMFAO!

flippin' arm.. of course.

Heather E. said...

She is captivating! Holy smokes. Carrie is right. Do the bows with the tights (maybe for church sometime?) And do it before she can figure out how to rip them out.
Stat! A haircut! How tender. Did you save the hair? Yuck.

M-Ware said...

I tried the bow with the tights and she looked like a cancer patient. It is clear I don't know how to work any kind of bow.

I did think about saving her hair in her baby book ... but then thought better of it and just took a picture.

Super B said...

I tried with the bows and headbands. I did it because Eve was COMPLETELY BALD and that makes a girl baby look even more like a boy. I did it for church, etc. However, I have come to feel much more like Fig. (I never did the giant bows, mind you...those huge flowers??? way too over the top in my opinion.)I am also not one to worry about it now. Eve's beauty as well as Sienna's can stand alone, without all the hair accessories. And now, Eve still has less hair than your child, but I do try to put in a small clip or bow every once in a while. When she rips it out...no big deal.
I think I should get a prize for the longest comment. (How about some homemade hair bows?)

sheena said...

If your baby ACTUALLY HAS HAIR those headbands don't work! River had a ton of hair andheadbands just pushed it up in the back and made it look like she was wearing a bump-it. Not so cute. Sienna on the other hand is enchanting. Those eyes!

Inez Valentina said...

Ah, I love the outfit/bow coordination there, Miss Martha. I miss you and Sienna already! Let's get together again soon!
- Inez

Katrina said...

She looks so pretty and girly in those bow pics! :-)