*Sweets*
In July, Adam and I decided to take a break from sweets. He was training for his last big bike race and I was bent on losing the final pregnancy pounds. When I say sweets, I’m talking dessert – ice cream, cake, candy bars – of which we have always partaken of in generous quantities. I love to bake, so we always have oatmeal cake, lemon bars, chocolate zucchini cake or what have you to dig into at any old time. I also love Snickers bars and Ritter bars and Twix bars, of which I always grabbed at the supermarket checkout line for a little, well-deserved (always deserved) treat. I like double chunk chocolate anything ice cream and Adam cleans out canisters of mint chocolate chip and cookies and cream. So, it was with trepidation that we embarked on this new path. I’ve tried the “no sweets” thing before and just remember wanting to climb the walls with chocolate desire. So we did it the doable way – we didn’t outlaw jam, honey or maple syrup (Adam has an insatiable appetite for waffles). And we allowed one sweet per week, every Friday. It could be big or small, but Friday night was the night. We chose Cold Stone creamery many times and lemon bars the other times. It was going swimmingly. Then Adam did his bike race and I lost the pounds …. And we were back ON SWEETS. After a couple weeks on them I have come to realize that …. I hate myself when I’m on sweets. There is much self-loathing and lethargy. I feel soft and rotund and as though my workouts are completely undone after eating a much deserved (always deserved) lemon berry tart. So, it is my plight to go back off. Starting Monday. After I finish my chocolate chip cookies. Wish me luck!
In correlation with the sweets, something has got to change with my stomach. Oh my stomach! To state what many a post partum woman has discovered: She ain’t what she used to be. Oh the things I would give away to strangers (my firstborn?) to have my stomach back. I never had a six pack … but it was an honest two liter … and I liked it. My sister told me to take pictures of my belly very early on in my pregnancy to see the growth at every stage. I wish I had taken pictures of it from all the angles long before I got pregnant so I could look back and just … maybe … touch it, perhaps fondle it, kiss it, frame it and honor it. Which is why I’m going off sweets again. It has come to my attention that I can’t eat like I used to eat and have the same figure I used to have. It has been a bitter, bitter pill to swallow. A bitter pill than contains no sugar. But maybe it’s God’s way of saying: Clean up that temple, ship shape. To bear children involves continual sacrifice, not just during and directly after pregnancy but …. Gulp … forever. Maybe not forever. Maybe just this life. I’m looking forward to the resurrection. In the meantime, anyone have any good ab workouts? And does anyone else think the Pilates 100 are bunk? Seriously, pumping your arms 100 times by your sides = sweet abs? I don’t buy it. Hasn’t done anything for me yet.
9 comments:
I totally agree with you!!! Roger and I just did the same thing. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. We actually did a low glycemic diet so that actually bans corn and potatoes too. I planted a lovely garden this year with 8 rows of corn. We decided to go off of the diet until the corn was gone and our vacation was over. We both have eaten whatever we have wanted over the past 3 weeks, needless to say we both feel like crap and I have gained 4 of my pounds back. Roger has gained all of his 7 back.
Monday is the beginning of the new way of life. I am so much happier not eating that crap. So I say Kudos to you for changing. Let me know how it goes.
I don't think God cares whether you have a two-liter. No amount of abs hardness would ever make continual diet rules worthwhile to me ... but hey, to each her own. Good luck!
I am not even going to comment on the diet/eating thing. I did no sweets for 5 months and that was with no nights off. I also ran for a while. I lost 10 lbs (out of 40 I needed to lose) Then, I hurt my back...like majorly. On the floor, immobile, etc. Anyhow, so, I have not exercised for several weeks, I also started eating sweets again and guess what, I am back where I started...needing to lose 40lbs.
But, what I wanted to write about was the sleeping thing. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. I did not and do not follow a certain book. I do lean more toward the Dr. Sears, attachment parenting style. I followed my instincts at first and would nurse Eve to sleep and then whenever she woke at night. When I thought I would die from lack of sleep, I just remembered that a. I wanted her here for 6+ years. b. I am her mother and there are things I can provide that no other human can. c. The time that she needs me is very short in the grand scheme of things. It would go by...and fast. So I took it one day and one night at a time.
So, we kind of co slept for several months, and I nursed her whenever she wanted. Then we moved and around 10 months we worked on getting her to sleep in her crib. Which we had in our room for a couple months. Then one night I decided that I did not need to nurse her when she woke up. So, I put her to bed, sang her to sleep and then when I would hear her stir, I would say, "Eve, mommy's here, you are okay and you can go to sleep." or "Sshhh, shhhh, shhh." etc. That was when she started sleeping through the night. But then when she would wake in the morning, I would still put her in the bed with us and savor the morning nursing. Anyhow, I guess what I am trying to say is this, she is a baby. She needs you. And I recommend just taking a step back, and taking a deep breath. Then think, what is the purpose of all of this? What is normal for babies? What are my reasons for doing what I am doing? What is best for my baby? What is best for our family? I think that there are so many ways to do things and there are going to people and books that tell you one way or another, but the key is to follow your instincts and know that not having a clue about what you are doing is normal.
Ok- you already know my answers to all these I am sure but I thought I would say a little.
My stomach is smaller after this baby #4 than after the last 2 which I completely attribute to not having sugar. I still have droopy skin that you would never want to see sans clothes but it is not pudgy. I can't seem to get the last 10 lbs off though
If pilates is not working for you could you be doing it wrong?? Sorry, had to ask :)
Everyone has to do what is right with the sleep training thing. My heart does not jive with your last commenter's comments but I know to each his own. I give my babies all the love I can give during awake time. I would not be a nice mommy AT ALL if I did not get good sleep. Then the baby would suffer during the day and so would my other children. I would start resenting my baby in my lack of sleep mode. Babies can put themselves to sleep and can be broken of bad habits. My doctor said he does not need to eat more than once at night either. Everyone does what feels right but none of it is completely instinctual so books and advice are great. I think if you read the Weisbluth book all the way through it might make more sense.
That's all.
The sleep thing is a hard pill to swallow in and of itself! My 3 kids have all been such different sleepers, and I can't say one thing works for every kid. Ideas from books are great, and try them sure, but you also have to do what works for YOU, and your baby. My oldest only woke up once a night from birth, at 4 am, ate, and fell right back to sleep until 10!!! It was amazing.(He slept in with us, which was nice :)) And at 3 months (someone told me after 3 months they remember enough to form a habit) I put him in his crib after I had nursed him into near unconsiousness. He again slept until almost 10 every morning. Then at 9 months I started putting him to bed awake, and we had about 3-4 nights of SCREAMING, which was almost unbearable, but then we were good, and he has been my best sleeper yet. My daughter on the other hand would cry for THREE hours when I tried to let her cry it out. And she would have gone on for longer. I just think the crying it out thing is not for everyone. I actually watched a story on Nightline one time that said you are actually doing damage to your child's brain by letting them cry it out. Who knows. That is probably one of the hardest things about motherhood--figuring out how to SURVIVE!!! Good luck. :) Sounds to me like you are doing a fabulous job--BTW.
I totally agree with everyone that each child is different and that you have to do what is right for you. I don't know any first time parent that hasn't said I don't know what i'm doing. For me I would put nature music in my kids room when they went to bed at night then they wouldn't here other noises around them and then if they woke up in the night I would calm them down and then start the music over it has worked for my children is relaxes them and the don't feel alone to the silence. Another thing that worked weel with my second child but not my first were the steps that come from the book On Becoming Baby Wise Giving your infant the gift of nighttime sleep by gary ezzo. I think your doing a fantastic job and don't be so hard on yourself.
oh Martha I could write pages on the sleep issue. I agree that Weissbluth wrote about what SHOULD be happening but didn't help me at all about how to go about it. I detested the condescending know-it-all tone of Baby Wise, but Baby Whisperer was better and seemed to make sense to me. Can't say that it worked as well as promised--I was tired for a long 10 months, since it was a step forward, two steps back process for us. But when I finally was certain Max didn't have to eat at night, and the pediatrician confirmed, I stopped nursing him, let him cry for a couple nights, and it worked! Going back, I would have been tougher earlier, because the difference in my happiness level when I got enough sleep was tremendous.
You are an inspiration in the sweets-eating department. Probably should join you in that department since I'm attempting a triathlon soon, but must eat all the ice cream first.
My sister got her abs back by doing things called "dead bugs" from a core-strengthening book. Can't explain, but I think you find demos on line if you are not thrown off by the name.
AMEN sista to all of the above!! :) I hate my stomach! Remember our fab days of drill team and our hot bodies? Ya those days are gone. lol But i will say one thing, you look amazing!!! i still haven't lost my last 5 pounds of baby weight so i admire you for that! Second on the sleeping thing, I read babywise and it helped alot. But what helped me the most was the doc that I used to work for had a thery. At four- six months of age, they can go without having to eat at night. Mostly 6 months and until then they may need one time feeding. But he called it the 3 days rule. You let them cry for three nights. Do not go in there for anything! It is so hard the first night. Ty had to hold me back, but by the second night it was much easier and he hardly cried. By the third night...no crying! He slept through the night! My excitment was super high! it really works. But you have to contain yourself that first night! But so worth it. Zayne has slept through the night since 6 months old. but i do agree that every child is diffrent. But I do think this method works cuase every mom that he told would come in later and say that it worked for them too. :)
Martha - You have inspired me. I may not be able to cut out sweets entirely, but after reading your post, I'm trying to be more conscious of the things I eat too. Mainly, trying not to eat 3 cupcakes or a few cookies each day. :) Thanks! Oh, and Sienna's room looks great!
Post a Comment