Monday, October 22, 2007

Hot Time in the Old Town

I faced my very own death head on last night...while pacing all eight steps back and forth between my TV and the bathroom. I was packing my bags and saying my final words to Adam. I thought we would not make it til morning. We were oblivious of any blaze in our area til about 10 pm when our neighbors (who were in Arizona) called and said there was a fire in Irvine. Hmm, come to think of it, the air WAS smoky. It was five miles away from us! I packed plenty of clean underwear and my face wash, just to be clean and zit-free to meet my Maker. There ended up being no "mandatory evacuation" for us, but Adam and I took turns checking the news throughout the night, just to be sure.

The air is still really, really, really nasty, but we are in no danger. We went to work, the power was out here and there. Adam didn't get World Series tickets cuz the ticket co. is based in Irvine (UPSTAIRS FROM ADAM'S OFFICE!! - he had some words for them and he got to say them to their faces, in a civil way of course) and their servers were down, partly due to fire/winds.

Man. These Santa Anas. They sounded so nice and breezy. They're pretty wicked.

9 comments:

Eric Lynn said...

Ah brush fires; it makes me nostalgic for good ol' Orange County. (I grew up there, remember? In fact I lived just a few minutes to your south in Laguna Hills and Coto de Caza.) They get them every few years. And with the hills denuded of vegetation, a little rain in the spring will produce mud slides! Just remember, the fires, mud slides, occasional earthquakes, and unbearable traffic are just the price you pay to enjoy Southern California's lovely beaches and heavenly Mexican food. (I miss both terribly.)

Heather E. said...

I can't believe the ticket office of his dreams is upstairs from his office and he couldn't get tickets. I am genuinely bummed for him.

Miriam said...

Whet a shock! I'm jest sa glad that you two are safe and sound! It jest sure does make ya preciate how blessed ya are, doesn't it? Whet a privledge to be alive, for goodness sakes!

M-Ware said...

hey eric. thanks for the comment. who are you?

Eric Lynn said...

Eric Lynn. Sorry, I guess the computer only gives you the first name.

Fig said...

M, I'm relieved to know you aren't dead. I've been wondering for almost a whole day.

M-Ware said...

christy, it's too good to be true: i am not dead. yay!

eric! what's UP? are you in washington dc? do you have a blog? i want to comment on your blog. or facebook. wait, i think we're already facebook friends. i never go on there. tell me where to find you!!

Eric Lynn said...

Hey Martha,

I'm still in DC. Bet you wouldn't mind a little bit of our humidity these days eh? Unfortunately though, I have yet to make a foray into blogsphere, but you can find me on facebook. Drop me a line sometime.

Giving In Blogger said...

Glad you're okay! And if it's any solice now, tell Adam the Rockies lost anyway.