This, I know, is not a good enough reason. Cuz life at home with a baby is not necessarily a vacation. And I want all my days at home to be 100% selfish and packed with vacationing. So, I won't be birthing for that reason, (and besides, I want a baby right NOW so I can stay home --not in 9 months -- hey, wait --- maybe I could fill that 9 months with vacationing. Rethinking....but back to my sentence) but I will be vacationing while I can. Which is at least until the middle of August. My fabulous husband actually feels sorry he's dragged me all over the country with his changing jobs...so he's compensating by giving me time with friends and family -- as far away as North Carolina!! He rules. And this vacationing will not be in vain. Because when I come back I'll be ready to work, ready to get dressed, maybe even ready to do my hair. I will become a contributing member of society and not just a contributing member of the Heritage Point swimming pool.
Being jobless means I'm also baking my brains out. And reading. But let's talk about baking. Do you ever just want to eat bread all day until you pop? I have had this kind of feeling ALL WEEK. So I've been stuffing myself with blueberry bagels and Philidelphia whipped cream cheese. It does the trick for awhile. But I knew there had to be something more. A few weeks ago I successfully made 2 loafs of wheat bread. What a feat. But that wasn't what I was craving. It was....cinnamon rolls....YES. So I consulted my rusted little recipe box. It's hideous. The recipe box -- not the recipes inside. Maybe I'll post a picture of it here. I have been on the lookout for a cute one with pizzazz. This is a niche some really creative Mormon chick could really capitalize on because online I did not find one thing. So my crappy little thing sticks by my side.
Here's the recipe I used last night:Butterflake Cinnamon Rolls by Lynne Smith
(Lynne Smith was the town dr's wife who lived in the country in Roosevelt times. She is a red headed delight. Lynne, if you're reading this, hope your house has not burned down. You're a gem. Hope you don't mind that I'm publishing this family secret.)
2 c. warm milk, scalded
2 t. salt
4 t. yeast in 1/2 c. warm water (add 1 t. sugar)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. melted butter
2 eggs
7 c. flour
Mix milk, salt, butter, eggs, and half the flour. Add yeast/water/sugar mixture after it has bubbled. Mix well. Add remaining flour. Mix by hand -- add enough flour yet make sure it's still sticky. Let raise until double. Punch down. Roll out on floured surface. Cover top of dough with plenty of butter, cinnamon and sugar. Roll into jelly roll. Slice into 1 in. pieces (I use a piece of thread -- do you know this technique? I'll tell you if not). Place on greased cake pans, barely touching. Let raise. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 min.
The recipe at this point says "cover with almond frosting." Do I have the almond frosting recipe? No! But I sure wish I did cuz it sounds TDF. I'm sure I could find it online but do not have the funds for almond extract at this point. So I used Betty Crocker's orange frosting recipe, because everyone has funds for one solitary orange.
BC's Orange Buttercream Frosting
3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
1-2 T. orange juice
2 t. grated orange peel
Mix and smear on top of a hot CR. Enjoy!
I ate two of these monsters last night and went to bed sick with no signs of digesting by midnight. Which is just what I wanted. It was awesome. Luckily I had the inspiration to make them when I did because Adam tried to switch the hinges on our $120 fridge we bought from a dude in Oceanside and he got to the last bolt and...and....and....it was stripped beyond grasping. So he put it all back the way it came...with the fridge opening to the wall. And boy was he mad. But glad when he ate a cinnamon roll. Mad almost always turns to glad with a home baked wonder.

7 comments:
oh yum. I have a weakness for cinnamon and cream cheese and bread. I've never baked cinnamon rolls, now when you come to visit we will.
delightful reading and rhetoric. when you decide to work again,slacker, hopefully they will be able to pay you fair market value for your bowstaff and writing skills. Have you thoguht about working and writing for the food network? Rachel Ray is dull and predictable. They should have an affliate of some type in the O.C. Good luck job hunting.
those look delicious.
I have had good experiences with baked goods too. They always seem to make people happy. I also had a dream just today about eating a bunch of choc. chip cookies. mmmm.
All I have to say is hooray for Arrested Development! We watch it all the time, no joke ALL THE TIME! I think Matt has it completely memorized!
ps. I think I remember that recipe box from our Aspen Village days.
oh the madness!! my orange icing has been discovered!!! i love that recipe and i often (or mostly only) use it on gingerbread men during the Christmas season- try that out- delish. ps i miss seeing that beaut of a recipe box. way to go mrs. domesticity!! xoxo
Oh Martha!!!!! I was just reading through your blog- and laughing right out loud! Oh how I miss you- and your antics. I can't tell you how I enjoy reading your writing! I say you make a job out of this:)
By the by, I have been on a cinnamon roll kick myself lately. Casey was going to come over just today and we were going to make some. The secret ingredient. . .Mashed Potatoes!!
Love ya! Emily
Post a Comment